grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

2. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

A couple of my hens honked and panted on the very hottest days, but I set out lots of pans (hog pans, crawfish trays) with water in the shade. That helped. Overall I think they did fine; I lost several juvies to heat, but that was my fault and not breed specific. Our heat is thick and heavy; dry heat might do better.

They are not auto sexing, but I can usually sex my own chicks by 2-3 weeks old. That's just because I've raised enough of them.

I sell the babies for $5 straight run, which is super cheap for the breed, but mine aren't show quality. Later I sell roos for $5 and pullets for $12, and then the pullets get more expensive as they get older.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Chickens are doing great. Had to show special attention to my favorite hen. She's next to the bottom in the pecking order but she still run the other hens away when they got to close to me lol.

4. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Hope you feel better mutt. I'll try to think about some of my true life crazy stories. Wish I could post pics. Got a funny one of pearl at the museum. Shouldn't post it on here anyway. Well you know the statues that museums have.? Well pearls standing in front of one with her hand up and smiling. Give you one guess what it looks like she's got a hold of. Very funny pic. :lau

5. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Camping, sounds like you're making a little progress with your new dog? Jane how's your little furry butts doing? And granny I hope you can get your dog problem straightened out. Sounds like you've really tried your best.

6. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Well my Sussex is still a wee baby but she seems to cope with the heat ok so far. (Well...12 or 13 weeks)

Sexing, dunno.

7. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    You didn't run me off. I had to go to the feed store, and the grocery store.

I liked both your videos. The Sssscat mat is cool, but hubs would rather keep putting plastic on his pillow than shell the $$. I had trouble with both cats jumping on the counter. Ming learned quick after running afoul of my booby trap- empty cans attached to strings. Woke us up at 2am, but worth it. She only needed the one time. Henry was easy. He got yelled at one time and never jumped back up.

I will peruse the advice site you posted later, after dinner, which is smelling pretty good so far.

A good rooster personality wise would be Cochin, but they have feathered legs, so not great in the heat. Any of the American dual purpose birds would be very different from the fighters you dealt with. I would ask breeders near you to see if they have heat resistant, gentlemanly roosters to recommend. Don't know if it's true, but have read that personality gets passed down from the rooster. [​IMG]

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    its bound to be true wishing. my brats are so much like there dad i cant hardly stand it sometimes.

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Oh, here is Ming. Rescue kitty that had 3 kittens before I got her. She's my tiny sweetie-pie. Only 5½ lbs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Chicken Obsessed

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    16 in brooder 5 EE mixes 8 BSL pullets. 3 BSL cockeriels. Put my 6 three and half month old cockeriels in grow out pen with 4 1/2month olds yesterday. Today was first day they could free range. 5 never came out of pen and the one that did didn t stay with others and didn come out of pasture to be put up at dusk. Horse got out of pasture when dh left the hate open. Never told me why the hay he was in pasture after dark. I m stArting to worry about his memory. Then dd truck broke down and she just left it to us to get it towed. No one would on Sunday so it s still on side of the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by