grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    never mind wrong movie

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. twisted-acres-farm

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    yes just put a little vinegar in the water when you boil them colaguates the whites and the whites sort of form a plug to keep most of the egg in the shell.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Love me some Paint Your Wagon - I'll even admit I was humming several of the songs the other day at work.

4. twisted-acres-farm

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota

5. twisted-acres-farm

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, the show - it was nice, but left me feeling a little underwhelmed. It probably didn't help that I woke up an hour after the time I had planned to leave the house (apparently my phone thought I needed more sleep). DS opted to go with me, so we were looking forward to making a day of it -- but IT WAS COLD!!!!!! We found our way there with no trouble and had a great time looking at all the different birds that were being shown. DS's eyes about popped out of his head at the sheer size of the English Orpingtons they had - put our little hatchery grade American Orps to absolute shame. Did learn that DS likes bantams. He was absolutely enamored of some little Wheaten OEGB pullets - of course they weren't for sale.
    The sales area was heavy on siklies (not my thing - though Red would have been like a kid in a candy store), bantams and waterfowl. Caught sight of a couple of folks from the IN BYCer thread but they were busy in conversation so I didn't want to interrupt. All in all, I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if it hadn't been so miserably cold - the show birds were inside, but they were unheated buildings and all the sales were outside, it was just really hard to slow down and enjoy the experience. I could also tell DS was over the whole thing before I was so I was rushing on that count too.
    In the end, I think what I took away from it was that for the breeds we keep we're better off just sticking to our "hatchery birds" - the show quality birds were nice to look at but eat just as much, in many cases MORE, than my little birds and my little birds probably outlay them in spades, so I'll still with "backyard" birds. If DS decides he's serious about the bantams I may spring for some quality on that count. Now I'm sitting here tabbing back and forth between hatchery sites trying to settle on which one to order our chicks from for next year......Granny, if there's anything in particular you want let me know and we can combine orders.

7. twisted-acres-farm

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    well Off I go again TTFN

8. Dannachic

Dannachic Overrun With Chickens

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    great red we have to see them...

1 person likes this.
  9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Too bad it was cold. Kids sure can put a damper on our obsessions, can't they? [​IMG] OEGBs are very nice birds, calm and easy to handle, but a warning that for showing, males must be dubbed (comb removed). I like tradition and the history of the ABA, but sure wish they'd change that rule!

Agree about hatchery birds for backyard. I was going to go the other direction and have a few that I got from breeders, including a huge (but not English) Orp. They are fine except for how often you can count on them going broody. Broody Ameraucanas at least 3 times a year and both of the Orps have been broody before they turned a year old. Thankfully, the Marans hasn't got the broody bug. So yes, the hatcheries will have another customer here. I get them from the feed store, though. Can get fewer that way.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I had come across that last night regarding the dubbing - like you, would love to see that requirement go by the wayside.....not sure I'd have it in me to do that, plus he was most sweet on the little pullets so maybe it wouldn't even be an issue....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by