grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you

2. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    yes tricky indeed [​IMG]

3. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    OMG granny, I don't think I ever known anyone that has such horrible luck as you, so sad [​IMG] I'm so, so sorry that you lost your new birds, that's horrible. Why would the chicks move as far away from the heat if they got too cold? Wouldn't they have moved as close as possible to the heat source? I just can't believe it, life needs to cut you some slack soon. Send many :hugs

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I have no idea. someone mentioned that an animal could of scared them. As many times as i have seen or heard of people having their animals freeze and i would shake my head. how could that happen? I have chickens in another brooder right next to them . same set up , no problems

5. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Then it probably wasn't from the cold then. I can't remember how old you said they were when you got them, its been pretty hectic here. Did they seem healthy when you brought them home?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Seems to me you could use some help. Is there anyone? Perhaps a volunteer organization like the Salvation Army or Red Cross who can come in once a day for an hour or so.

As for the chicks? I always feed medicated feed the first few weeks.

I also use two heat sources in case on light burns out. It has happened to me twice and I lost to many chicks. I use one red heat bulb and one ceramic bulb of lower wattage but enough the can get warm if need be. I can hang a 100 watt ceramic a bit lower too.

[​IMG]

7. Sunset Ranch

Sunset Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Darn it, granny :( I'm so sad about your chicks dying. I hope your hubby feels better soon, and may this (please!) be the last storm before spring arrives. Sentimental possessions are hard to lose, but they are just things. You are rich in love of family and friends (tho many might be certifiably crazy - myself included). You're like the Unsinkable Molly Brown! This too shall pass.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they were healthy. I cant find those ceramic bulbs rancher. sunset thank you.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Seems to me you could use some help. Is there anyone? Perhaps a volunteer organization like the Salvation Army or Red Cross who can come in once a day for an hour or so. I did have someone coming every day. I fired them. It takes me a min. but i get er done. Was trying to reply to part of a post . looks like i am talking in riddles.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  10. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I've seen them advertised on Facebook, maybe check there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by