grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    You can find these in pet stores. They use them for reptiles. Not cheap, though. Cheaper by mail order. Only bad thing is you don't know when they burn out, so good to have two sources like rancher said.

Sorry about your new chicks. That's a big blow for you. [​IMG] I have heard of little ones not being able to find the heat, piled up in a cold corner dead. Not sure why some do it. To be safe, you can start them out in a very small area (block off part of the brooder) until they have it figured out.

Have to say I'm impressed with Frosty. Wouldn't have wanted to deal with a freaked out dog at dark-thirty, but what if someone had really broken in? She would have saved the day!

Unless she only barks at strange shirts without a person in it. [​IMG]

Hope your husband feels better. This has been one tough winter for you guys. Spring can't come soon enough. Sending all my best wishes and thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thanks, the brooder is 2x3 wood except for front hardware cloth. had a bag over half the front and a 250 heat bulb. holes for ventilation as well. temp at lightbulb is around 100 . I didnt check the back corner but i will. the light bulbs, no pet stores . guess that would be why i cant find them. frosty ! uug. wanted to knock her block off yesterday. after my lamp. i have never paid that much for a lamp before and i guess i wont anymore. oh well, I am supposed to drive to Louisville today and of course we are under a level one snow.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Gotta love the weather, eh? We're headed South as well today. Since you're going that way, if you go through Clarksville, swing into Green Tree Pet Center (it's by Bass Pro) if you want to look for the lights suggested above. Great folks and very reasonable pricing.

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Just caught up reading....man, a lot has gone on. Granny, sorry about your chicks and all you're going through. Your luck is bound to change and hopefully soon. [​IMG] Hang in there.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Another day of rain! How the heck is a woman supposed to have a yard sale?? Come on Mother Nature! Please?

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Sorry about the chicks Granny so glad it's not that cold here, hope you get some sunshine soon. To funny about the dog that must have been a scary shirt!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I ordered them on line. You can find them for all kinds of prices, but cheap is right for me. About $3-4 each, for 100watters.

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    we went 421 to 71 ol mare and i have no idea where we were. LOL I got a surprise !!!!! I told you guys it would be better then yesterdays storys.[​IMG] kind of bad timing because of the chicks deaths but nothing i could do about that. [​IMG] are you ready?? GRANNYS GONE AND DONE IT !!!!!!!!! an even dozen . oh, the breed you ask? nothing fancy, just some itty bitty seramas. mostly white. frizzled sizzled and smooth . some with color . 2 adolesents, one grown rooster and 10 babies . oops, thats a bakers dozen. I have half a flock and am getting eggs from Jesse and if they hatch they will be paired with these so no inbreeding.

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Congratulations on the Seramas!!! [​IMG] You know we will be requiring pictures eventually...

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG] for the new birds!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by