grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A lot of times the head dress does cause issues - the impairment of sight can create a fearful nature/high startle reflex as well as invite undesirable attention from others (thus furthering the fearful nature) and it can also impair their ability to see and get their fair share of food.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Sunshine !! ol mare. its about time. I half seen weather this am . caught a couple days supposed to be in the 50s ?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That's what everybody thinks, because that is how they are advertised. When I asked the breed club why my hen was laying a green egg, they told me 'blue' was in the eye of the beholder. I told them that could be true, but it still didn't explain why my blue egg hen was laying a green egg!! So, they sent me an OAC chart (online auction color chart) to prove that the eggs were blue. Low and behold when I put a piece of shell on a color block, it matched a block on the green page of the chart. So, then everyone else wanted a chart to use for their eggs. NOT ONE OF THEIR EGGS is on the blue page! I almost ****** myself laughing at them.

Now to be fair, if I put the almost blue egg on a white surface, it looks blue. If I lay a blue egg from my Araucana beside it, then it looks pastel green. So, sorry, the egg is 'almost' blue at best. If you compare them to a brown egg they look blue.

Either way, their eggs are pretty, and I love the hens personalities. They are just not BLUE!

4. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    A lady on the LA thread has CCLs and hers lay very blue eggs. I know she is careful to get good lines. Maybe that is the difference?

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh boy ! well, I am half color blind anyway but if its lightened with the white polish egg should be better able to tell the green from blue. no matter, i dont have either one. LOL

6. enola

They claim that their eggs are blue. Yet, when they compare shells to the chart, the matching color blocks are on the 'green' page of the chart. And my hens are from the first generation of chicks from chickens straight from Green Fire Farms. Two different sets of eggs that I have gotten were not BLUE, bluish is the best way I could describe them.

7. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    That's so disappointing.

8. enola

Oh, I still love my hens. I just won't advertise their eggs as BLUE. I will send pictures and let them make up their own mind. [​IMG]

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my rooster came direct from greenfire. I would like to see the eggs enola if you wouldnt mind.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i just read you can cross cream bar with isbar ???? and get sexlink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by