grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Yes, pretty much. The chick is upside down in the egg so I'm really struggling with knowing when (or not) to intervene. It's beak it through the hole it pipped, so I know it can breathe. That is always my worst fear. No one else has pipped.

2. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Everyone at work is going out for dinner tonight, and I'm staying home so I can buy a fancy new thermometer instead. The brinsea spot check was recommended in the hatching thread. It's $25.

3. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

[​IMG]

That's as far as it's gotten.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I confess to interfering. I usually regret it, because the chick can't walk or some other thing. Then I'm burdened with having to put it down. Sometimes not always, but most times.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    why do you have it out of the bator ? [​IMG] If you have a spray bottle put it on mist with some warm water. give just a couple sprays and not by the nose. the walls of the bator too. let that steam gather on the window. remember that it can breath and it has 2-3 days worth of yolk to live on. any more pips?

6. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

It's inside the bator! I had the lid up just a crack. I put that towel down because I had such a problem last time keeping humidity up.

Had one little pip right before I left. I had to run to town for feed and supper for my boy. He's three today!

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aww, tell little man Granny says happy birthday !!!

8. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Question, do you recomend buying a storage shed than transforming it into a coop or just plain out, start from scratch. [​IMG]

Also, Happy Birthday to your son, Campingshaws![​IMG]

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I have done both and really, it depends on size and money. if you have the money, buy the shed. if you want to do a little at a time, Pick up that hammer. they are both going to cost about the same in the end. building it yourself is way more fun but the roof is a bad boy. I ended up buyibg rubber roofing and having someone else put that part on. LOL so now i have a flat roof but it dont leak.

10. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Thanks Granny, I am planning on geting a 8 times 12 coop: using the 4sq. ft. rule, that alows me enough room to get 24-27. I am also planning to get it started sometime next year. I can easily get $600+ each month.

Let me bother you again with another question, paper of plastic. Or wood vs plastic sheds. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by