grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaa, that boy is having fun. no eggs today making half the serama eggs too old. 13 days til spring
pop.gif

Thanks, Campingshaws! That is really good to know -- I am not sure if that was one of the vaccinations offered by the hatchery but I will certainly check. If they offer it I will have it done. I think I have just been lucky so far, my chickens have come from different places and have all integrated well. I started out 4 years ago with 5 grown pullets from a local feedstore, didn't realize until I got them home that they had all been debeaked which absolutely horrified me. 6 months later I lost 3 of the original 5 in a dog attack, 1 was very shocky and never recovered, she passed a few days later. Then I got 5 (8 week old) babies from a lady in the next town. Out of those 5, two of them turned out to be roosters. I kept one rooster and rehomed the other. 2 years ago I bought 3 Americauna chicks because I wanted some color variation in my eggs. 6 months ago, I had 2 stray chickens show up at my house, the little Polish and an aracauna hen who has turned out to be a good little layer of blue eggs.

Outside of the dog attack, I have only had 2 die. One of my original chickens passed away last year, she was probably about 5 years old. Over the course of several days, she got wobbly on her feet and could only walk a few steps at a time before sitting down. She was eating & drinking, poop was thinner but not really loose, and she wasn't having any respiratory problems that I could tell. I brought her in the house where it was cooler but she passed during the night. The other was one of the Americaunas that I raised from a baby. She was a lovely hen, sort of a lavender color and laid the most beautiful blue eggs. One evening she was fine and the next morning when I opened the coop she was dead. My guys have a good sized coop(10 x 10) attached to a 10 x 16 run and I try to let them out to free range for a couple of hours everyday if possible. I feed them laying granules and greens from my garden and some tablescraps. I have read and tried to learn but no one else around here is interested in chickens. I am very glad to find you guys. I am sure I will ask lots of stupid questions!

Good morning granny! This weather change has got my bones aching. 80 yesterday, 36 right now. Not my favorite.

I'm not having much luck selling my sussex eggs. Or my eating eggs. I guess nobody knows what the sussex are.

Stay warm!

Ohhh I think Sussex are beautiful. I'd take some if I didn't already have 92 eggs fixing to go in bators:-(

Ohhh I think Sussex are beautiful. I'd take some if I didn't already have 92 eggs fixing to go in bators:-(

I tell u what I had better luck with my old farm innovators incubator than with the new digital little giat??

Hello everyone,
I have finally read all the posts on this thread (487 pages!!) and feel like I have gotten to know you guys a little bit. I am very pleased to meet ya'll. However, now that I have read all the posts I am in a full blown panic thinking that I have bitten off more than I can chew. I had no idea so many different things could go wrong with chickens! I started keeping chickens about 4 years ago and my small flock of 8 to 12 has always been healthy and pretty worry free. I have 46 chicks(different breeds) coming from a hatchery on March 17 - I have never raised more than 3 or 4 babies at a time. I am still working on expanding the run and getting the brooders ready. I want to replace my current laying flock (well, some of it anyway) and also raise some for meat. All the breeds I have coming are dual purpose breeds that should be fairly hardy.

I did not have these chicks vaccinated for anything--should I call the hatchery and have them vaccinated after all?? If so, what should I vaccinate for? I am in the Gulf Coast area of Texas, is Marek's prevalent in this area? And what about that pox stuff that someone was having problems with? Is there a vaccination for that?

I am another granny that has gone and done it.........................now what do I do??? Help!

Don't worry about things going wrong. It can seem like lots of things can go wrong but not everyone keeps their birds in the same condition as everyone else. Of course the more you have the better they odds something can go wrong too. Seems to me if you've had no trouble just keep doing what you're doing. If it helps you to sleep at night then by all means call and have the vaccinated.

Welcome to the coop,

Rancher

I dont know if i should laugh or cry. definitely traumatized. For those of you that dont know what a possum stomping party is (like me) , I will tell you.I have 3 barn cats, one of them a sneaky little Siamese . I was in the barn feeding the chicks (where i found my dead EEs a week ago) and the cat was rubbing up against my legs. absent minded as normal, I reached down to pet him only it was NOT him. yup, a possum ! right between my legs
ep.gif
For once i just wish something like that would happen when i dont have eggs in my hand. may they RIP. My husband came outside, I dont know how he knew ? all the screaming maybe? He picked up a stick and i said "dont you dare" even playing dead it would be faster then him .you know, if we needed to run or something. So i called my friend and she hollers to her husband,"possum stomping party!" and "we are on our way" . So , here i am thinking the house isnt clean, what am i going to serve, this is short notice for a party. LOL Well, my friends, A possum stomping is exactly what it says and I am delightfully disgusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom