grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I dont know what i was thinking. I toasted some muffins and put cheese on them then fried the eggs over easy !! talk about a mess.
hmm.png
I havent tried it yet but talk about having egg on your face. I didnt make toms that way, why mine??

Coming on March 17 from the hatchery are 4 Buff Orpingtons (f), 4 Dominiques (f), 8 Welsummers (str run), 10 Black Langshans (str run), 10 Jersey Giants (str run), 10 Silver Gray Dorkings (str run), 4 Americaunas (str run), 6 Barred Rocks (str run), 6 silver laced Wyandottes (str run). They are all dual purpose birds, I didn't order anything that is specifically just a meat chicken.

My existing flock is 2 Olive eggers, 1 blue egger, 2 red hens, 1 black hen, 1 useless Polish, and 1 mutt rooster.

The babies and brooders will be in a separate pen from my existing flock but the pens are next to each other, so anything airborne could be a problem.

I didn't have them vaccinated when I ordered but since they won't ship for 10 days I assume I can call the hatchery and tell them I have decided to vaccinate after all. Is there a vaccination for that pox stuff? The only vaccination I remember seeing that the hatchery offered was for Marek's and Coccidiosis (sp)

Hi Jackschicks!
frow.gif
Seems to me if you've had chickens for 4 years without any problems, then you are doing it right. BYC is full of poultry horror stories. It's where we come to vent our complaints and look for help. By comparison, not many people come to post about another day with healthy chickens, but that is the norm for most I think.

Chicks coming from a reputable hatchery will not bring disease to your flock. Bringing in chicks or older birds from any other source comes with some risk. The wild birds and mosquitoes pass the diseases around too.

There is a lot of info out there about vaccines, some are worth it and some not, depending on your area and how many birds you have. There's probably a BYC thread for your area where people could give you the scoop, or check with a local university ag extension. A poultry vet here in Calif said that the vaccine for Mareks is not really all that effective if you do your own. The hatcheries do it before the chicks hatch, and even then it doesn't completely prevent them getting the virus, but can lessen the severity, especially preventing tumors.

If you do have any trouble, then this is the place, and I can tell you from personal experience, it's a huge relief to have the collective experience of so many helpful people when you need it.

Oh, and we love pictures!
wink.png
Especially baby chick pictures!
jumpy.gif

Coccidiosis is preventable with medicated chick feed for a few weeks and slow introduction to the environment. Coccidia is always around, you just don't want them getting overloaded.

There is a vaccine for the pox, but I don't know much about it.

Last edited:
I haven't whined about not getting any rain lately.
big_smile.png
We were supposed to get some last weekend. No luck.

We got HAIL instead.

Have to share a few pictures!

Patio table

Confused dog

Confused chicken

HAPPY BOY!

His feet got very cold.

lol.png
He's only been in the snow once, I think, when he was about 5. The hail was quite a novelty. He went around collecting it from the tops of the cars in a bucket. He got soaked and had bright pink feet. Warm shower was never enjoyed more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom