granulation tissue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessie66, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    So today I noticed on my hens wing, a big hard mass, kind of like a scab, but thick like golfball sized. It has drops of yellow serum on it. I had this happen to the breast of another chicken years ago. It is awful feeling, very hard and lumpy. It does not seem to bother her, and she is acting fairly normal otherwise. Is this like proud flesh on a horse? Should I put Neosporin? or Betadyne on it? Is it a cancerous growth?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A picture might be helpful. Was she injured there? Hard and lumpy sounds more like a tumor, but leaking serum sounds more like infection. Did she have a Mareks vaccination?

3. Jessie66

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    I will post a photo tomorrow. I got her as an adult, she probably didn't have vaccinations. I don't think she injured it. It does feel hot like it could be infected. Thanks for the reply.

4. Jessie66

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So this is the mass. About the size of a golf ball. Don't think she was injured. It feels a little hot, and you can see the yellow serum. We just put a hen down this morning for Mereks (leg and wing paralysis) This hen was kept in the same coop as the one we put down. She does not seem sick other than the lump. Should I treat topically with Neosporin? or Betadyne? Should I give her an oral antibiotic? Any advice as to what this is or how to treat would be appreciated.

5. Jessie66

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    So my hen is still around, the lump on her wing is slowly growing and still seeping a bit. I am going to try soaking it everyday in warm water and epsom salts and then coat it in a skin and wound treatment (mane and tail) that I have for horses. it is Benzalkonium Chloride 0.125% I might go buy some Vetricyn spray for wounds and try that.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is wet in the photo, as I just soaked it. Usually it is a hard dry lumpy mass. Is this a tumour? Do chickens get growths like this? Any treatment advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. Jessie66

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    The Vetericyn did not do much to help. So my hen still has this tumor like lump. Pretty huge now. It is on her wing. I'm wondering it it is at all plausible to tie a tight elastic band around her wing, just above the tumor, thus cutting off the blood supply to it? Kind of like banding the testicles on a lamb or banding the tail? on a lamb and have it fall off? or would this be totally awful for her? and not work? and maybe I should just end it for her? Not really sure about the blood supply to the wing, will have to google it.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think tying a band around her wing would be extremely painful. I wouldn't do it. The tumor looks like cancer from Mareks, and it probably has a good blood supply, which would probably cause much bleeding. Is she in pain? I think I would put her down when she becomes uncomfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by