(GRAPHIC IMAGE) Help Needed, Family Member's Chicken Had Severe Vent Prolapse

Hi guys, we need some pretty urgent help regarding a chicken, the local vet wasn't much help as they basically said that the vent needs to go back inside or the chicken put down, but we're really struggling to get it back in. We think the large intestine has also come out of her as we can see the poop hole and the egg laying hole seperately.

Currently we've managed to get the two eggs that she'd had trapped in her vent out and are keeping her in the dark to stop her from laying further.

We've tried to apply antiseptic cream and sugar to the prolapsed area to reduce it down before attempting to push back in but it looks very bad.
Do the best you can until your products arrive. The main thing is to keep the tissue moist, so sugar pack or honey, cream, etc. works.

I do agree, the prolapse is pretty bad. You mention that she had 2 eggs in there? How long has she been prolapsed?
Putting her down is also an option or it may come to that. Sometimes these things can't be fixed or are repeated.

Last edited:
Honey or sugar can help to reduce swelling by reducing osmotic pressure, and just keep the prolapse tissue moist, so that it does not dry out and die. Occasionally, more internal tissue or bowel can come out with straining, so keeping her in the dark for 16 hours daily, only allowing her in light for 8 hours to walk around, eat, and drink. Many prolapses cannot stay in for awhile, but when it is smaller, I would keep trying to push it in and hold it for a few minutes while holding the chicken to calm her. If the vent becomes soiled giving a warm soak once a day may be helpful. Good luck with this.

Last edited:
I nearly always use honey, it has worked well for me. Helps reduce swelling, mildly antimicrobial, and keeps it moist. Time will tell if this will turn out OK or if she will just keep prolapsing. I had a very bad prolapse from a malformed egg, I really didn't think there was much hope but I tried. After 48 hours it was staying in and nearly a year later she is fine and laying normally. That is not always the case and some birds do need to be euthanized, but it's really hard to predict sometimes which will do well and which will not.

Do the best you can until your products arrive. The main thing is to keep the tissue moist, so sugar pack or honey, cream, etc. works.

I do agree, the prolapse is pretty bad. You mention that she had 2 eggs in there? How long has she been prolapsed?
Putting her down is also an option or it may come to that. Sometimes these things can't be fixed or are repeated.

We aren't totally sure, we only noticed it when it was pretty bad already as her behind is often covered with a lot of feathers. Apparently, she's never laid before now and she's about a year old, I don't know if that's relevant.

At the very least it's been over a day. We're going to try a bandaging method we've seen online where you bandage and cut a small hole for excretions. We're also going to try to treat the tissue and keep the tissue inside for about 20 minutes before bandaging.

I'm not totally sure if she's drinking but she doesn't seem to be eating much at this stage.

We're going to give her pain killers asap and do what we can for her.

Back
Top Bottom