GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I will place my order for Chinese capon tools next week (probably on Wednesday, September 17th.)

I've sent confirmation PMs to the following people. If you wrote to me about ordering and you are not on this list, please send me a PM. I don't want anyone to be left out.

Sylviaane
Double Kindness
Buyddy
Racinchickens
Mirandaisqueen
LonnyandRinda
Shelbydog

I will place my order for Chinese capon tools next week (probably on Wednesday, September 17th.)

I've sent confirmation PMs to the following people. If you wrote to me about ordering and you are not on this list, please send me a PM. I don't want anyone to be left out.

Sylviaane
Double Kindness
Buyddy
Racinchickens
Mirandaisqueen
LonnyandRinda
Shelbydog

You guys will not be disappointed. Yea Poco
celebrate.gif

I'm excited! My bf & I finally got the dp meatie run expanded today, and free ranged with supervision both the flocks! They LOVED it!

And we watched chicken tv, and noticed the roosters are getting a bit territorial. The one he named Brazen is not the nicest chicken we have, but the one being dubbed Yellow Foot is the one we're planning on caponizing first hehehe as he's a peckerhead! As in he pecks my feet, legs when I go in to feed everyone.

Next, I'm debating betwixt new Zealand white rabbits or jumbo cortunix quails or muscovy ducks to add to my meat pens for my homestead. Or lamb/goats. Idk yet. Another deep freezer is in my near future I see, as well as cones and my own dedicated plucker. I saw one on amazon for about $60 not including the plucker barrel/bucket thing, is that a good deal? Cones are 30 each. We're trying to figure out what all we need to do this, as I will probably be raising my own meat chickens from here on out and expand into other meat options too. Do you guys have a preference over other meat species for small homesteads besides chickens?

I caponized some young cockerels today, and one of them was iffy so I made my initial incision on the left rather than the right. Here is what I found:

The white cord in the center extending toward the right is the oviduct. The reddish structure is the kidney. The lower tip of the ovary is to the left The next photo is that of an immature ovary, again with the kidney in the background.

The following photo shows the oviduct that has been carefully separated from the underlying tissue, and for the purpose of showing the structure a loop of thread was slipped behind it to elevate it from the other structures.

Normally I carefully grasp the oviduct with a pair of hemostats, making sure I don't grasp any of the surrounding blood vessels. At that point the tissue closest to the ovary is removed, and then it is lifted and pulled out of the incision and removed as far down as possible.

Here is a photo of an oviduct that was removed from an older pullet, approximately 14 weeks old and the tine of the forceps is threaded through the center of it.

The retractor is then removed and the procedure is finished. I approximate the wound and apply a smidge of Loctite. While it dries, I apply leg bands to identify the poulard, and after it is completely dry so the wing doesn't stick to the wound, I remove the restraints.

These photos aren't that good because they were snapped with my phone, but I thought I would share, since I know some have shown interest in poulardizing.

I know that photos shown of pullets that were poulardized by the Chinese at 4 weeks of age show male characteristics, but I don't know if that occurs in the older pullets...14-16 weeks. I am waiting to see. My oldest poulard is 22 weeks, so I am going to butcher her in a 3-4 weeks to check for ovarian development.

Sylviaane
Double Kindness
Buyddy
Racinchickens
Mirandaisqueen
LonnyandRinda
Shelbydog

I can't figure out who else from MO wanted to take caponing classes but I did tell her about this thread so hopefully she finds her way here before the clinic happens.

I have not received an invoice from my Chinese contact. I will send invoices when I've got confirmation from him. Until then, sit tight and know that your tools will be on the way soon.

I caponized some young cockerels today, and one of them was iffy so I made my initial incision on the left rather than the right. Here is what I found:

The white cord in the center extending toward the right is the oviduct. The reddish structure is the kidney. The lower tip of the ovary is to the left The next photo is that of an immature ovary, again with the kidney in the background.

The following photo shows the oviduct that has been carefully separated from the underlying tissue, and for the purpose of showing the structure a loop of thread was slipped behind it to elevate it from the other structures.

Normally I carefully grasp the oviduct with a pair of hemostats, making sure I don't grasp any of the surrounding blood vessels. At that point the tissue closest to the ovary is removed, and then it is lifted and pulled out of the incision and removed as far down as possible.

Here is a photo of an oviduct that was removed from an older pullet, approximately 14 weeks old and the tine of the forceps is threaded through the center of it.

The retractor is then removed and the procedure is finished. I approximate the wound and apply a smidge of Loctite. While it dries, I apply leg bands to identify the poulard, and after it is completely dry so the wing doesn't stick to the wound, I remove the restraints.

These photos aren't that good because they were snapped with my phone, but I thought I would share, since I know some have shown interest in poulardizing.

I know that photos shown of pullets that were poulardized by the Chinese at 4 weeks of age show male characteristics, but I don't know if that occurs in the older pullets...14-16 weeks. I am waiting to see. My oldest poulard is 22 weeks, so I am going to butcher her in a 3-4 weeks to check for ovarian development.
Cool, I actually thought they were good pics for a phone.

I have a bunch (22 hatched, plus 10 others) of chickens that all look alike. Hatched 5/15 so some of them I CAN tell are roosters, some I can tell are hens, some ?

So, if I cut into some that are not yet identifiable and they are hens, can I just let them go? Or what?

When I take the class with Coral (Poco Pollo), I am going to come home and have a rooster caponizing party that will probably last several days as I don't want to be in too much of a hurry and kill them. I have been waiting for the next class but circumstances haven't permitted it yet. Can't wait to cut down on those roosters. I think out of the 22, I got half or more of them in roosters.

I have a bunch (22 hatched, plus 10 others) of chickens that all look alike. Hatched 5/15 so some of them I CAN tell are roosters, some I can tell are hens, some ?

So, if I cut into some that are not yet identifiable and they are hens, can I just let them go? Or what?

When I take the class with Coral (Poco Pollo), I am going to come home and have a rooster caponizing party that will probably last several days as I don't want to be in too much of a hurry and kill them. I have been waiting for the next class but circumstances haven't permitted it yet. Can't wait to cut down on those roosters. I think out of the 22, I got half or more of them in roosters.
It is recommended that the peritoneum....the membrane that is supposed to be cut open for caponizing...not be disturbed in a pullet so that scar tissue doesn't form around the ovary and oviduct, which can result in an internal layer. So if you aren't planning to try to poulardize the pullets, I wouldn't attempt to caponize anything that I wasn't 99% sure was male.

The pullet in my photos was going to be butchered, not raised for eggs. That is why I went ahead and opened the peritoneum....even though I could see the ovary. That's when I realized that I could get some decent photos of the anatomy.

Thank you for the pictures! One of my dogs got to my br pullet and I have an injured slw, so now I have 2 to practice on. Unfortunately no roo to practice on. I count a total of 12 roos for me, and 18 more straight run chicks arrive Tuesday.

I will only be keeping 2 roos for breeding. I'm still debating if I'll breed my big ayam cemani cockrel yet, guess I'll see what other males show up in the next batch of 6 chicks before deciding.

Back
Top Bottom