GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
Healing:

We haven't been stitching them.

However, we've been putting them in a cage that is located inside a building for about a week after the procedure. The building is darker than it would be outdoors, so they move around less than they would normally. The quiet environment cuts down on jumping and flapping. Then, after a week, I put them in a more normal outside cage (no roosts) for another 5-7 days. They're in the cage by themselves so that other chicks don't have a chance to bully them or pick at the wounds.

Then, if they're fairly well healed, I let them run with the flock.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to either get brave and try caponizing again, or get together with our mentor and have her do one for me. I hatched out a couple of bantam mutts, just to see what would happen, and I think my favorite one is a boy. I definitely want to keep him though.

I thought chickens were sensitive to lidocaines and related medications? Is this not the case?

I am not sure what chickens are sensitive to.... I kinda figured poor boy has a huge hole in him because of me, if the cut hadn't killed him I really did not want him to get a infection and it was all I had. But in less than 24 hours the wound was closed!! They are just really remarkable creatures, it is Wednesday only 4 days since the failed attempt and the wound is now just a scar, it is not red or irritated not even a scab, just dark line. Wow

I called seriously 20 vets in my area North Texas, and no one NO ONE would even attempt caponizing... except one smart *** said $1500.!!!!! REALLY REALLY Jerks.
They just don't want to be bothered with it, my own vet said he had never tried it and didn't want to because of the anesthesiology.

I am not sure what chickens are sensitive to.... I kinda figured poor boy has a huge hole in him because of me, if the cut hadn't killed him I really did not want him to get a infection and it was all I had. But in less than 24 hours the wound was closed!! They are just really remarkable creatures, it is Wednesday only 4 days since the failed attempt and the wound is now just a scar, it is not red or irritated not even a scab, just dark line. Wow
I googled it forever and couldn't find anything, so then I started a thread in the emergency section asking if anyone had a link to a sight that discussed it and someone posted a link, the link does say the benzocaine should be avoided in poultry as they can have a bad reaction to it. Others have posted on BYC of their chickens dieing immediately after a "caine" use and others have used it w/o incident. My take away from all the recent reading I have been doing is it is Russian Roulette to use the "caine" meds. Most times it may have absolutley no negative effects, but when it does it is immediately fatal w/o any chance at fixing it. I personally will not be using the "caines" and will stock non "caine" meds in my chicken first aid kit.

It really struck me the difference in medicating avian vs mammal. To question even the most common OTC first aid meds before use.

Back
Top Bottom