*graphic video* do you see any mareks tumors?

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
@Wyorp Rock videos linked…I’m very stressed yall I don’t know what’s wrong with my flock and had to do dissecting of my decease chick because I can’t afford a state necropsy. I’m terrified it’s mareks, can anyone tell me what they see if anything? My main concern are the small bumps. Otherwise I believe my flock has coccidiosis but they’ve been on Corid for 4 days now and I was expecting to see energy level improvements by now. Now, one of my 12 week old pullets forages slowly than normal then just sits down and closes her eyes. Fluffed out feathers. All help is appreciated :

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4251.jpeg
    IMG_4251.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4247.jpeg
    IMG_4247.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4249.jpeg
    IMG_4249.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4243.jpeg
    IMG_4243.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4241.jpeg
    IMG_4241.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4234.jpeg
    IMG_4234.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 6
@chicktings like we discussed, I will tag in @Eggcessive @azygous and @coach723 to view your photos and video as well.

If possible, I think I would get a sulfa antibiotic and treat all the chicks. Continue with the Corid treatment for the 5-7 days.

I do see the bumps on the intestines but couldn't say whether or not those are tumors due to Marek's or if they are due to something like Enteritis.

Liver looks to be a good color with possibly some hemorrhaging unless that was done during investigation.
Heart looks relatively normal, but also a possible hemorrhage?

Gizzard looks o.k.

Get photos of the current one that is not feeling well along with her poop.
Again, tell us what you feed including treats. You provide grit too right? Sorry if I forgot.

I know it was very hard to do this, but you did a good job:hugs

https://allbirdproducts.myshopify.com/products/trimethoprim-sulfa-powder-generic
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=91F10ACA-FB33-44F4-9A6C-40FCD628F49B

You did a much neater job doing your necropsy than I usually do. I do not see any sign of tumors.
She was a small bird. Do you think that it is enteritis? @Wyorp Rock the soonest I can get the antibiotics you linked is by the 14-19. I’m scared the others won’t make it. The other poops honestly look normal to me. They all have solids, then they’re stinky cecal and then the cycle starts again for other poo. Diet is Nutrena chick grower crumbles and that’s it. Today was day 5 of Corid. Should I stop that and pump them back up with vitmains? Their appetite has dropped. But the worst one is a speckled Sussex. The day before, it was her sister who looked bad. I’m nervous that the reason she wants to sit down a lot and feathers fluffed may be vitamin deficiency so it does make me want to stop Corid and get some recovery rooster booster in their systems. What do y’all think?

As Wyorp Rock said, try to get a sulfa antibiotic to treat for coccidiosis. Jedds.com sells them here:
https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet

I don’t have enough knowledge to know what the lesions are along the intestines. Tumors could be a possibility, but I really don’t know.

What state are you in? I would,call your state vet lab to discuss this, and ask what they charge for a backyard bird necropsy. I was surprised that Ohio would do one for $23 if I delivered the body to the lab in person. If that doesn’t work, they may let you send some pictures to the vet school for an opinion. Sorry for your loss. This is a good list of state vets to call:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Did you slice open any of the intestines? You might have to examine them under a magnifying lens. It might show corrosion (enteritis) .
I actually did. But I did not have a magnifying lense to look super closely. The one picture I took also isn’t very clear! I’ll attach it here. As for the rest of my flock, I guess I will need to watch them all very closely to make sure they don’t have any other issues that could resemble mareks. Im obviously not 100% that the one that passed was negative for mareks based on not being able to take into a state lab. I’ve read with other responses I’ve gotten that the images and videos I took didn’t show anything someone would be concerned about however, that necropsies this pro did usually showed lesions in the brain and were microscopic…and I did not open up her head or have a microscope to look at any brain samples. @Wyorp Rock i mentioned that I had two chicks seem a little off however, after today not giving Corid water, one seemed to have more energy and not fall asleep too easily. The original one I noticed acting funny was still acting a bit off. She wasn’t in a puff ball standing up sleeping but she was standing up sleeping and looked kind of bunched up. She eats, I see her crop full, she drinks, but she still has low energy and walks very slowly around unlike her usual perky self. I’m wondering what route I should take as I have a few but I can’t pay for all: 1. Get the sulfa antibiotic you mentioned around $35-$40 with shipping. 2. Three-day poop collection from multiple chicks to give to my vet for another worm/parasite fecal test $50 3. Purchase a more natural dewormer to not rock/overload their systems after having Corid ($30 ish) or a chemical dewormer which I’m more reluctant to buy until fecal tests are done because again I don’t want to make anything worse on their little fragile bodies. Lastly, the one I’m worried about poops are normal from what I have seen but I will take soem photos tomorrow if I can catch any. She is the most lightweight chicken I have and I can feel her breast bone more prominently than the others the same age. I feel more meat around the breast bone of my other 6 girls. Note #3, I have picked them all up and have noticed weight loss in all since the Corid treatment, is this Normal?

inside blurry pic of cut open intestine. Seems yellow ish not sure if that’s normal. Did not appear to be grainy from what I remember when opening up. I also sliced through the questionable bumps and it wasn’t a different color or filled with anything
IMG_4253.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom