Grass Gone...Need Run Flooring Suggestion

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hi BYC...Happy Saturday!
Well after 4 months, my 4 girls have nearly eaten and destroyed all the grass in their run. So it's time for me to look at options.
1. Do you think I should just let it be and don't add any flooring? 2. If I were to add, what would you recommend?
You'll see that there's mulch in the plant bed around the inside edge of their run already.
We live in Southern California so rarely get rain and climate is mild in case that influences the decision.
Thank you!
20211002_090058.jpg
20211002_090122.jpg

your AC unit is doomed. it can't take the danner the chickens will kick up. You will have to clean the coils monthly and a water hose is not a friend to your run. move it and use wood chip and leafs on the ground
Yeah unfortunately it's the only area in my yard with shade that's why the run ended up there.
Fortunately because I live in Southern California by the beach we rarely use the AC. In fact didn't use it even once this season.
But noted and thank you for your input.

Since you're in So Cal you may get away with just dirt, as long as it stays dry even during rains in that spot. Otherwise more untreated mulch, wood chips, and a mix of whatever you pull from your garden (untreated grass clippings, weeds, etc) should be fine, though you won't get as much of a composting effect due to the lack of moisture.

I suggest pine shavings. The other substrate I've enjoyed is pelletized horse bedding. I use it primarily to make a soft floor for my ducks, but it works well for my chickens, too. The trick it that I slice open the bag, leave the pellets in there, add about 2 gallons of water, and reduce it to sawdust.
I've never looked into pellet bedding. Will the chickens think it's feed? Mime eat pellet feed.

Back
Top Bottom