Grass nearly all gone, now what?

I have 7 girls and I section the yard area they’re allowed in so the grass can come back in the area I’ve blocked off. I’ve never reseeded but might be the grass that’s grown here Pacific NW. Maybe all the rain helps regrow it too.

We overseed with rye grass so something is growing pretty much all year. But they do decimate that as well if left to their own devices.
There's nothing a chicken can't decimate, with time. My barn has a "floor" or recycled concrete base - literally broken chunks of old concrete, tamped down, with more of the stuff around the foundation. My chicken's favorite place to dustbathe? You guessed it, the RCB. Which they have dug at so much, so often, that its now like polished sugar or type-S masonry cement, no concrete chunks can be found - just this fine powder that doesn't grip anything. Its a little more coarse than flour, but not much.

There's nothing a chicken can't decimate, with time. My barn has a "floor" or recycled concrete base - literally broken chunks of old concrete, tamped down, with more of the stuff around the foundation. My chicken's favorite place to dustbathe? You guessed it, the RCB. Which they have dug at so much, so often, that its now like polished sugar or type-S masonry cement, no concrete chunks can be found - just this fine powder that doesn't grip anything. Its a little more coarse than flour, but not much.
Wow, my father in law uses that stuff for potholes. They sell it as "urbanite." Because marketing. Leave it to a chicken to break it down more than vehicle traffic.

I have had 4 girls since April 2021. I love them dearly. They have a 9'x24' attached run (which has mulch flooring) but spend at least half the day in my suburban backyard. I used to have lush grass but now it's nearly destroyed from their pecking/eating and scratching! I'd love to be able to grow more grass/ground cover so they can have that entertainment and they just love to eat it too (I also grow fodder for them in addition to layer feed). My grass area is only about 12'x25'.

Any suggestions?

Do I maybe fence off half to regrow grass then give them that half and regrow the other? Or is it a losing cause.
View attachment 3015264
Doing half and half is a good idea or, since their run looks nice and big, just do the whole yard at once. I do suggest, however to put down clover instead of grass. It grows faster and chickens LOVE it. Plus, it’s better for the environment. I love it too. Here’s an article with pros and cons. https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/gardening-pros-cons/pros-and-cons-of-clover-planting/ I think the cons list is a bit dramatic but she isn’t completely wrong.

I have had 4 girls since April 2021. I love them dearly. They have a 9'x24' attached run (which has mulch flooring) but spend at least half the day in my suburban backyard. I used to have lush grass but now it's nearly destroyed from their pecking/eating and scratching! I'd love to be able to grow more grass/ground cover so they can have that entertainment and they just love to eat it too (I also grow fodder for them in addition to layer feed). My grass area is only about 12'x25'.

Any suggestions?

Do I maybe fence off half to regrow grass then give them that half and regrow the other? Or is it a losing cause.
View attachment 3015264
I fought this battle till I realized the grass wouldn't win and my yard would be bare. So for all to enjoy and share(I also have 4 dogs) I sectioned off a corner for my girls and give them a big salad every day for their greens. I also have galvanized troughs to plant greens for them but will put chicken wire on top so they can’t scratch up the roots. They seem quite pleased w this arrangement. All is peaceful once again and I have grass. Enjoy your girls!
GretaGarbo

Any suggestions?

View attachment 3015264
Chickens are masters at clearing a yard. I finally gave up and sectioned off a corner just for them. I give them a big salad each day for their greens and they spend the rest of their time scratching for bugs. They seem quite pleased w this arrangement. I have a run attached to the coop for shelter from rain and I plan to plant greens in galvanized troughs w chicken wire on top so they can’t scratch the roots up. I now have grass for my 4 dogs and my garden beds are safe. All is well…GretaGarbo

I fought this battle till I realized the grass wouldn't win and my yard would be bare. So for all to enjoy and share(I also have 4 dogs) I sectioned off a corner for my girls and give them a big salad every day for their greens. I also have galvanized troughs to plant greens for them but will put chicken wire on top so they can’t scratch up the roots. They seem quite pleased w this arrangement. All is peaceful once again and I have grass. Enjoy your girls!
GretaGarbo
That sounds like a great set up! I have just 1 dog. He's still has a little grass to enjoy too.

Back
Top Bottom