Grass nearly all gone, now what?

Chickens ability to kill grass rates as the number two reason after eggs for keeping chickens for me. I use a tractor for 4 hens to control their grazing. I move the the tractor through my garden and orchard. The growth of vegetables and fruit trees are greatly benefited by the elimination of the grass and perennial weeds. From my point of view there are only one real solution. Movable tractor or paddock fencing and /or plant something better than grass or add litter to the run to build up and protect the soil.

Hmm, interesting and funny! I've been raising chickens for 3 1/2 years and in the first 3 weeks or less, they ate all the grass in the run and now it's all dirt, and that's the way it's been ever since. They apparently don't miss it. However, we do throw scraps to them from time to time and yes, the wife will sometimes throw loose grass to them when she's working in the yard or some hay but other than that, we've never had a problem with them wanting grass. Sure, they like it but they like everything. My wife calls them 'Piranhas', and I have 20 of them. That's another reason I don't let them loose in my garden. I've heard people say let them run loose in the garden they'll eat all the bugs, yeah right, and all your plants, too! You have a nice yard which would a lot better with grass! That's just my 2 cents on the matter. :D

Back
Top Bottom