Grass seed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hdgddd, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hdgddd

hdgddd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    My husband just seeded our yard. My daughter lets her chickens out daily and is afraid because they are eating the grass seed. She has put them up for now, but will it harm them if they eat grass seed?

2. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    I wouldn't think so. My chicks eat sunflower seeds on a daily basis, but I doubt you will grow any grass. [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't see how it could hurt them - after all, wild birds eat it all the time. But you won't grow much grass. I had to reseed an area recently and I put a layer of soil on top of the seed, to stop it getting eaten by my free rangers, and also to stop the wind blowing it away before it could germinate. I then put a spare piece of 1/4" hardware cloth over that, just until the grass started to come up. That stopped them scratching away the dirt to get to the seeds.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Read the bag the grass seed came in. It is usually coated with something or other that could be harmful to your chickens. I wouldn't let them eat it.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Absolutely agree, many grass seeds are coated with chemical fertilizer or things that help the seed retain moisture or kill bugs that would eat the seed. Do not let your chickens eat it.

6. hdgddd

hdgddd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for the Advice. She brought the chickens up on the drive way out of the grass. We would rather be safe than sorry.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wish I knew about this! My mom during the summer spread grass seed in the backyard to cover the bare patches and the chickens went haywire over it.. I couldn't stop them from eating it.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Ours got into the BAG of grass seed that my husband left half full laying on the porch [​IMG] I don't know how much they ate, but they had it everywhere and I would assume they ate quite a bit.

Needless to say, they're all still here and fine nearly 5 months later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by