Grau-Fee Color Inquiry

Silver has a lethal factor, homozygotous. It has been reduce by breeding in foreign genes, but it is likely to accure again, if you are breeding too long silver with silver.

Grau Fee is Tibetan + Fee dilution.
I am figuring out at the moment, which dilution gene is in fact responsible for Fees.

The genes for Tuxedos are 4 different genes, all recessive.
White beard/bib, -breast, -primary wing feathers and -head.
How the final appearance is depends on which genes are active (double allele) and also individual intensity.

The bonus photos is probably Silver and Tibetan, both incomplete dominant, so they mix ... here is one of my Silver/Rosetta mixes:
View attachment 2288724
Thank you so much for the detailed reply!! :hugsThat is exactly what I was looking for. I had no clue the genes for tuxedo where separate, but that does make a whole lot of sense now. I've seen quail listed as 'white winged' with no more obvious white on them, so that explains that.

I LOVE that silver rosetta! Might have another project on my hands now... Oh boy

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!! :hugsThat is exactly what I was looking for. I had no clue the genes for tuxedo where separate, but that does make a whole lot of sense now. I've seen quail listed as 'white winged' with no more obvious white on them, so that explains that.

I LOVE that silver rosetta! Might have another project on my hands now... Oh boy

One of my browns has white wing feathers. I have some of these with king quails, which I know is called white winged pied, but do you know what it's called with japanese quails?

One of my browns has white wing feathers. I have some of these with king quails, which I know is called white winged pied, but do you know what it's called with japanese quails?
I believe that pied/tuxedo are interchangeable terms for Japanese quails but I could be wrong, I know very little about king quail. I know many of the coturnix colors are similarly named, but some are completely different :idunno I do have some king quail eggs in the incubator at the moment, I'm so excited to see how teeny those babies are!

I believe that pied/tuxedo are interchangeable terms for Japanese quails but I could be wrong, I know very little about king quail. I know many of the coturnix colors are similarly named, but some are completely different :idunno I do have some king quail eggs in the incubator at the moment, I'm so excited to see how teeny those babies are!
They are so tiny !!! This is 16 days old the one i managed to hatch

Attachments

• 20200817_170140.jpg
    20200817_170140.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm working on isolating my Grau-Fee lines, with the addition of the tuxedo gene. I've been expanding my numbers quite a bit these last couple months and have had some interesting birds pop up. I've been breeding for white chins/beards (split for the tuxedo gene if I'm not mistaken?), and I've had a couple of my latest offspring feather out with a noticeable brown 'leakage' compared to others that are clearly grey slate. Should these leaky ones be taken out of my breeding program, or do they just carry another color gene that sets them apart? I have both male and female showing the excess brown, so I don't believe it's gender related.

1. Leaky browns -

View attachment 2288631View attachment 2288632View attachment 2288635

2. Compared to the grey slate ones -

View attachment 2288637View attachment 2288639View attachment 2288642

And some bonus photos, are these silver tibetan/rosetta or something else at play? I do have roux pop up on occasion. Currently penned with my silvers

View attachment 2288663View attachment 2288664View attachment 2288665

I'm hoping to sell hatching eggs from my Grau-Fee very soon, and want to make sure I am using my highest quality stock. I have about 20 Grau-Fee currently, most of them having white beards with several incomplete tux in the mix as well. If you need more pictures from a different angle let me know and I will be happy to supply them. Thank you all in advance!!
Hello, the more I read the more I m confused. I've found only brown, Italian and Texas A&M here. Pearl, Pansy, Rosetta, silver , I'm lost. Is there an article of all breeds and variations for newbies? ( Now I'm even confused if pharaoh and Japanese is the same)😕

like I said, I know nothing about genetics and I hatched my SSC from eggs that I got from someone else. So I have no idea how she came around. I just hatched eggs not knowing what pattern I would get. sorry. I think @muddy75 should know more.
when working with silvers, probably best to refer to perry schofield......he did a live with coturnix corner in september that can be found on youtube and i think i may have a ss of some info he posted on facebook and i shared in the quail hatch a long thread. I will look for it!!

I need a breeding chart. With pictures and names. I know it would be a huge project but someone needs to do it. I am not knowledgeable in genetics enough to even start . We need to get someone from my shire or a breeder like them to publish it so the things that they are doing now don’t get lost.

Back
Top Bottom