Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

Ok I got my drawing done and bought the materials and seed. I will be starting on it tomorrow afternoon and finishing it Monday. I got some fall deer plot mix to start with. It’s still mild here so it should grow fine. If not I will buy something else and save the rest of the deer plot seed for next deer season.
I decided to just do a simple frame on the ground to save money and see how it goes. If I like it I’ll probably add a bottom and legs to make it 36” off the ground. Excuse the drawing, it was a freehand sketch to visualize materials!

C3D1ABD4-22F8-47F3-B0D7-39E7B531B5F2.jpeg

Wonder what the difference in nutrition would be between serving it with the roots and them only eating the tips of the new shoots? I realize it would be cheaper to not have to plant new seed all the time. But for me personally I like the white part of sprouts much more than the dark green.
I have been serving sprouts in one inch of soil and notice the chickens prefer to eat it roots and all.

Wonder what the difference in nutrition would be between serving it with the roots and them only eating the tips of the new shoots? I realize it would be cheaper to not have to plant new seed all the time. But for me personally I like the white part of sprouts much more than the dark green.
I have been serving sprouts in one inch of soil and notice the chickens prefer to eat it roots and all.
I don’t know but I’m not spending another thousand on a big hydroponic sprout system. I have over a hundred chickens, I’d go broke buying seed and trying to keep the sprout cycle going daily. I think of it like this...when hens forage free range they don’t eat the roots and all, they only eat the leafy parts.

I’m still working on getting the hardware cloth on the fodder frames. I am using small galvanized nails to tighten it up like a drum skin so when my fat hens walk on it it won’t sag too much. I decided to make two them 4’x8’ instead on one 8’x8’ so it’s easier to open the top and work underneath. I am adding hinges to the back so I can just lift the top like a lid and prop up with a 2x4 kickstand on each side so no hens get smashed while I’m working.

Back
Top Bottom