Great Pyreneese Pup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me you need to get into trapping. Help your new pup out. Trap as many predators you can. I like using live traps. It is safe for the kids.

www.poynergoatco.net

Robyn Poyner
Poyner Goat Company
SW Missouri
417-442-4970

I am also on a forum for Newfoundland dog owners and a few years ago some in the group helped to rescue a livestock herding dog in Canada and transported him to this marvelous woman in MO who keeps goats and other livestock. He was mistakenly identified as a Newf, but he's actually a Croation guarding dog. Robyn has Pyrs too, and many other breeds and she works them all to guard her flocks and herd. The dog's name is Sokol. Robyn knows an incredible amount about working and training guardian dogs. Check her website. I've put the contact info from her site above. If anyone can give help you in training your pup, she can. Tell her a Newfie sent you! She'll understand!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I got my pup today and he is 6 weeks. I need to think of a good name. He rode in the car for an hour and 45 mins and when I got home, I put him in the grasss and he did his #1 business then he went way out in the yard and did '
#2. He never made a sound on the entire trip. He took to my 2 year old like a best friend and never jumpped on him. I will post a pic tomorrow. He is a solid white puffball!

He took to my 2 year old like a best friend and never jumpped on him

Give him time.
In just a few months that dog will outweigh your 2 year old​

Aww, cute! Be aware that at 6 weeks, the puppy's not going to have good control of their mouth. There's a good reason why most breeders wait for 8 weeks to send puppies home. Sign up for a basic R+ Puppy Class to help prevent later problems, and to ensure your dog is a good, calm, well-rounded dog as an adult. Believe me, it's the best investment you can make on a dog.

I hate to make a pest of myself, but I will if I feel strongly enough... A shock collar? On an infant?? Look, Pyrs are not Labs or any other retrievers or spaniels or hounds. This hard-handed B.S. is so unnecessary it makes my head spin. Someone mentioned that their Lab puppy was rough on the birds... Well, yeah! Labs are bird dogs! Pyrs are not Labs.

You did yourself a favor bringing home a Pyr for a flock guardian. Love! You know how you "teach" a Pyr to guard livestock?

Take 1 Pyr, add livestock. Voilà!
big_smile.png

Since you don't have an adult Pyr to show the puppy the ropes, you will be the one on introduction duty. Put the puppy on leash and walk them on a tour of your property line every day. Encourage sniffing, exploration. The dog will need to know what scents are "normal" and which are... well... Pyr have to deal with "them" someday! Encourage the puppy to "#2" on the property line, as a working Pyr will use fecal marking to deter canids. (You may even want to start distributing poop around the boundary, to get the puppy used to the idea and to start the process yourself!) Introduce the puppy to the livestock on-leash, just to be sure it doesn't get overexcited and start chasing -- it is a puppy, after all!

If you run against problems, consult an experienced livestock guardian trainer. Most likely they will be thrilled to throw free advice your way. (Don't fall for just any idiot with an electronic collar and "training experience". Consult with someone who has experience with training flock guardians!)

Ideally, the Pyr will grow attached to the livestock and regard themselves as a "flock member", passively hanging out with your livestock and waiting for those predators. Honestly, it should take almost no "training" at all -- this is the one job the Pyr has been bred for, and they should take to it like a Lab... to water! (See? I don't dislike Labs. They're just... on the opposite spectrum from this sort of thing.)

It's not a bad idea to have two Pyrs, but I'd encourage you to space them at least 6 months apart, just to reduce the puppy process pain.
lol.png

Here's a cute article about Great Pyrenees and poultry guarding: Great Pyrenees Livestock Guardian Dogs

Last edited:
I hate coyotes and don't care who knows it. Been around them and seeingn what they can do has made me their mortal enemy. I agree with all who suggest getting a second pup. I know a coyote hunter who uses hounds and had one, big male 'yote kill two and seriously wound one more of the four hounds who had him cornered.

I hope you will be as happy with your pyr pup as I have been with mine!! I've had all kinds of dogs all my life, (big, small, mutt, pure, pretty, ugly) and my pyrs are super dogs. Lost all my chickens in '08, my border collie and fox terrier couldn't handle the coyote attacks that started that spring. After the coyotes finished off the chickens (chewing through the chicken wire) they went after my cats (only have 2 left) and then they got my fox terrier.
Got my first pyr in December of '08 and things started to change. I was amazed at the mellow temperament of this giant breed. (Who was the president that said 'Speak softly and carry a big stick'?)
My pyrs nap much of the day (with one eye open) and patrol during the night, their deep barks sound out through the dark and I haven't had a coyote on the place since!! Sometimes at night I hear coyotes yelping in neighbor's pastures but my dogs go on FULL alert and FULL offense. There have been a few times, when my dog's barks have become extremely frantic, that I've gone out to give them encouragement and support (they are a young dog herd). I carry my pistol, but so far my angry voice and the pyrs' big barks have been enough to send the intruders off.
This spring, with my young pyr pack in place, I have chicks in my hen house and look forward to being a chicken lady once again and having eggs this fall when my little ladies start laying.
I would encourage you to consider adding to your dog family, pyrs work best as a pair or more.

I do plan on adding a second but don't have the time for 2 pups at once! I took him down this morning to introduce him to the birds, some who are cooped and some who free range. He never even left my side or gave the birds a second look. I can tell you that the birds noticed him though!!!!! It was the most god awful noise you have ever heared! 2 roosters and my big male guinea I thought were going to attack the pup. They came at him but stopped a few feet short and werre lundging at him and the pup never got excited or even twords them. I will start a second thread with a pic and see if we can't find a name for him.

Colby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom