Great Pyreneese Pup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i was interested in buying a pyr..i asked a well known pyr breeder about coyotes..
She said that pyrs arent miracle dogs.(like so many people make them out to be..)... if a pack of coyotes attack... the pyr is dead...period.
If you think your dog will run into coyotes.. you NEED more than one pyr....

Quote:
It is better not to have two puppies at once. With Pyrs at least they tend to pack together and ignore humans so much. Pyrs are great dogs with children but it is important that the pup go to obedience training. Pyrs are very independent and if you give them an inch they will take a mile.

But they are so worth it!!

This is a great thread. I've learned so much.

I just purchased 25 acres in Tennessee where my wife and I plan to build and live out our years. We'll have goats, sheep, and of course chickens and other poultry. We were planning to get one and probably two GPs to protect our animals (and young children), now I think we're definitely in the market for two.

Here's my question. What's the best mix? Two males (fixed or not?) Two females? etc?

Thanks!

sounds like you need a donkey or llama, they are really good at protecting your animals. We have 2 donkeys and the neighbor has a llama and a mule... that mule killed a racoon! they are fearless!

Quote:
Well...back to plan A. Our first plan was to get two donkeys. After talking to several people, I changed to GPs. I know that donkeys would be easier to keep since they can basically live off of the land. We have great pasture.

I think I'm going to start a new thread. GPs vs. Donkeys

I wanted to second a couple of things. Get two...two can bring down a bear. Here coyotes will lure a dog into a trap. Also it will be a while before you can trust her outside. My pup who is about 52 lbs got into a tango with a wild boar (maybe two) and got a injury. She was not yet big enough to fend them off very well.
Other than that congrats! We love ours, she is smart, a great protector, and an even better family member.

HAha I just realized you have the other thread too...I need more tea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom