Great question!

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, heres a question for you! Im building my duckies a pen so that they can stay out all the time and I dont have to lock them up at night. I have super security from boundry fences and a second run fence so they will be safe. The question is ......would a duck lay an egg in the water? this might seem a crazy question, but I dont want to go sifting through the pond every day to fish out eggs! They know where there bed is, well they will do. They lay inside one of the perches inside there chicken/duck house and sleep there, but it will all moved so I will have to show them again first off. Anyways, will a duck lay an egg in the water? Any ideas?

th.gif
They do?! I'm gonna be in trouble... I don't lock my chickens/ducks up at night, they have free run of their coop and run (which is completely covered). I guess I need to start getting my egg fishing supplies rounded up lol.

I had no idea that mine were laying in the water. I found plenty in their nests...but I just drained my pond and found FIFTEEN eggs in the bottom...
sickbyc.gif

I learn something new everyday on here...

I wonder how many eggs are in the bottom of ponds that some people let their ducks free range on...

Edited because I can't spell.

Last edited:
NO WAY!!! Im so glad I asked this question! They will have free roam soon so I better start getting my treat supplies up together ready to get them to bed! they are clever though, if im just giving them treats they will run over super fast! But if im giving them treats to put them to bed, they dont have any of it!
lol.png

Im very proud of asking this question!
big_smile.png
But not so happy with finding out they do lay eggs in water!
lau.gif
Ducks just get better and better!
clap.gif

I'm ashamed to say that the instant I read the question, I automatically thought "What a silly thing to ask, of course they don't lay in the water!"

Yet I read on and was soundly schooled. I should have known better, there's no such thing as a bad question! Besides, I would have no real way of knowing either way as I keep my girls penned up until they lay in the mornings before letting them out so that I don't have random eggs rolling around willy-nilly. Also, they have kiddie pools, not a pond, but I guess now I know that they might lay in there if given the chance!

Back
Top Bottom