Great Speckled Sussex source?

SycolinWoodsChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
I'm new to chickens and purchased a variety of breeds last year trying to determine which ones we liked best. The chicks were from Meyers and we lost over 1/2 our SS chicks in the first week. Now that the others are 30 weeks old we love our SS. They are the friendliest bird we have. No aggression at all and laying well.

In the Spring I would like to add another flock of birds and would like more SS including a roo for breeding. Can anyone recommend a breeder that sells quality SS? We were disappointed with losing so many hatchery birds so maybe trying a different source would work better for us.

(BTW, all the other breeds from Meyers survived and are laying well.)

I ordered 4 SSs thru Ideal Hatchery last year. I love mine as well, they are the most friendly, curious breeds of chickens I have ever owned
big_smile.png
I had one pass (believe she got into moldy feed, inside a brick
roll.png
) Here is a recent pic of mine...I plan on ordering more next year, they are laying great as well.

CIMG3728.jpg

Me too. My SS is by far my favorite chicken. None of mine are laying yet, but she is the nicest, calmest bird you have ever seen. My hubby, who is NOT in love the the fuzzy butts, loves her to pieces. I want MORE.
lol.png

Thanks
big_smile.png
Nope, they thought the camera in my hand was a treat, since for the most part I do have a treat in my hand for them
tongue.png
Since they are so friendly, they are usually the first @ my feet and the last to leave.

I have some REALLY exciting news for anyone interested in Speckled Sussex. Tony Albritton, who is one of the top exhibitors here in the NW and is almost always on Champion Row with his Speckled Sussex, Black Langshans, and LF White Wyandottes is selling chicks this spring from the same matings he uses to raise his show stock. I happened to be clerking for Mr. Overton in the Spring when he was judging Mr. Albrittons sussex (Mr. Overton also raises speckled sussex) and he was VERY impressed with Tony's quality.

Tony gave me a flyer this past weekend, and once I have time this weekend (have a big test tomorrow and a paper) I will type it up so you can see what he is offering. I would recommend him HIGHLY for his sussex, and I expect his reservations for chicks will fill quickly.

Also, if you have a 4-h kid and want to do well at fairs with some quality birds, I recommend his birds highly. Tony often will win a show with his birds, not to mention end up on Champion row. I'm certain he is a master breeder of a couple breeds, but I haven't checked and forgot to ask.

Like an earlier poster I have speckled sussex. I'm back ordered now and can be accepting egg orders ....probably mid January....Please pm me if you are interested. We full time farm and you can see our birds under pictures at our web site....Thanks and have a blessed day.
Nancy
http://thegarryfarm.webs.com/

I highly recommend "bargain's" Speckled Sussex.

She really knows how to pack well for the post office and her birds are BIG and gentle and beautiful... and the girls lay well. Give her a try.

Back
Top Bottom