Green and Spalding chicks

They already have the 2015 peachicks?
For young peacocks of 2014 ... it's not too late?

Here for peacock we use :
20mm = 025⁄32in or 22mm = 055⁄64in
No chicks have hatched that i am aware of, i am set to go in June per his advice and already have a deposit on the first greens i want, I am hoping to get imports while i am there if they are available,
I don't think he has any 2014 American Greens left as he has someone that buys the ones he has left over every year.

I am going to ask him to supply leg bands with the info on them so i can put them on my birds when they are big enough, it will be easier to read than a wing band.
These big bands annoys my birds and sometimes it will hurt them, ask him for plastic bands, its better.

These big bands annoys my birds and sometimes it will hurt them, ask him for plastic bands, its better.
I will have to take what he gives me, only reason i want them is so i can look at the band without having to hassle with trying to read a wing band by myself. Plus it is his ranch ID on it which will be great if something happens to me and they are being sold off, folks would know where they originated and that they are pure.

The Strike is over, now i can get those imports if they have any when i get there
wee.gif
so excited
YESSS!!!!
yesss.gif
hugs.gif
clap.gif

I am going to ask him to supply leg bands with the info on them so i can put them on my birds when they are big enough, it will be easier to read than a wing band.
That is a good idea! With the amount you are getting leg bands would certainly be very helpful!
wink.png

That is a good idea! With the amount you are getting leg bands would certainly be very helpful!
wink.png
It Looks that I will get in two weeks my first 4 Imperator chicks for 2015.

I always use closed numbered plastic leg bends, which I order with my personal breeding identify. Every year the leg band having a different colour. This makes it easier to see the age etc. In addition, year number is on. This leg band you will put over the legs when the young birds are approx. 60 t0 70 days old and then the food link are big enough that the lag bands will not fall off anymore.
Two weeks later, it is not possible anymore to remove the rings anymore. This means each birds has the whole live a ring with a unique number.
Which means the numbered ring is the passport for the birds and it is always possible to identify it.

So the plastic leg bands never get brittle and break off? I wasn't sure if you eventually had to replace them.

Are you using the spiral plastic bands or the solid smooth plastic bands?

That is a very good leg banding system you have! This year I am working on keeping better records. Last year I didn't record all the eggs I got but this year I am making sure I record each egg and where I found it, etc.

No, the plastic leg bands are never brittle. It is not possible to replace these closed rings. As I mentioned you cannot mark adult birds anymore. You need a growing food link to put it over, because the ring is completely closed.
Over all the years, I had only one broken leg band and this was the leg band on the male, which injured my hand. He strikes so hard that the ring broke. This give you an impression how strong such a hit can be.
Here are some pics of such a leg bend.

It Looks that I will get in two weeks my first 4 Imperator chicks for 2015.

I always use closed numbered plastic leg bends, which I order with my personal breeding identify. Every year the leg band having a different colour. This makes it easier to see the age etc. In addition, year number is on. This leg band you will put over the legs when the young birds are approx. 60 t0 70 days old and then the food link are big enough that the lag bands will not fall off anymore.
Two weeks later, it is not possible anymore to remove the rings anymore. This means each birds has the whole live a ring with a unique number.
Which means the numbered ring is the passport for the birds and it is always possible to identify it.
This is why i want them , they will have a wing band but will be to small for leg bands when i pick them up so i am hoping he will provide them so i can put them on when they are old enough.

Thank you for letting me know they hold up well i am sure i will need to order some if i like these greens as much as the blues I am so ready to learn from them.

I don't like that type of band from BAB Ranch ... these are tube bands!
Imagine ... a sprained leg ....the leg swells a bit ... and that's the carastrophe!

A small piece of electrical cable to hold the band who still a bit large.

Last edited:
Good point Danny, but a band that loose would cause me more concern as it could get hung on something and rip the peas leg out of joint if they struggle
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom