Green coloration in hard boiled eggs

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
Has anyone ever hard boiled eggs and found a greenish tint to areas of the egg whites? I am not talking about the green ring the yolk can get when cooked too long.
The tint is in the whites and it does not appear to matter how old the eggs are before boiling or how long they have been in the fridge before eating. Some eggs will have it and some dont from the same batch.
Does anyone know the cause and if they are still good to eat? My spidey senses tell me green in an egg are bad?

Photo doesn't really capture the coloration as its subtle.

Attachments

• 20230604_135756.jpg
    20230604_135756.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 7
We have very hard well water and sometimes got yolks doing that same thing. A few years ago we bought a cooker like this and holy cow, does this make life easier! Perfectly hardboiled eggs every time in less time, and no green yolks ever.

This isn't the one we have, but it's like this. They make bigger capacity ones too.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-EGC007CHC-Shut-Off-16-Recipe/dp/B09W8V2LRL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=247PNLY90O961&keywords=hard+boiled+egg+cooker&qid=1690131317&sprefix=hard+boiled+,aps,1340&sr=8-5

We have very hard well water and sometimes got yolks doing that same thing. A few years ago we bought a cooker like this and holy cow, does this make life easier! Perfectly hardboiled eggs every time in less time, and no green yolks ever.

This isn't the one we have, but it's like this. They make bigger capacity ones too.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-EGC007CHC-Shut-Off-16-Recipe/dp/B09W8V2LRL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=247PNLY90O961&keywords=hard+boiled+egg+cooker&qid=1690131317&sprefix=hard+boiled+,aps,1340&sr=8-5
I just checked your link and Amazon tells me I bought a similar version in 2017. They probably don't make mine anymore. I used mine just yesterday to make 7 hard boiled eggs for my potato salad. I immediately put my hard boiled eggs into cold water to soak for about 10 minutes after the egg cooker completes it's cycle. Doing it that way resolved my problem of a dark green coating on the yolk. I still have no idea of why the OP's egg whites are green.

Back
Top Bottom