Green eyed bantams

Shell from Zim

Songster
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I rescued 6 bantam chicks from a client of mine who was losing chicks daily to predators, and had no way of protecting them. I later rescued 2 more from the next hen. Anyways the first 6 chicks are around 2 months old now, and have incredibly green eyes. Their parents eyes are a bright orange. These chicks are starting to develop wattles but their eyes are showing no colour changes from this stunning green colour. I have no idea what sort of breed heritage these chicks have, but their Dad is a very ginger red colour and their mum is black, gold and buff shades. Their parents both have tealy grey legs but the chicks legs are all yellow. They are long legged, large beaked, very quiet, gentle and completely tame, they are extordinary insectors and remind me of secretary birds when running down insects. Their mums eggs are a bit larger and pointer and more ivory coloured than my other bantams eggs.

I'm curious about their eyes as I've never seen chickens with green eyes before. Is it a common colour? Do you think they will turn orange? They are very healthy birds so I'm pretty sure it's not defect related.

I would love some feedback 😏 Thanks a million cool peeps 👍

Green eyed chick
FB_IMG_1608098505041.jpg

Their Dad
IMG-20201204-WA0024.jpg

The hens (incl their Mum) in hunt mode
IMG-20201113-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20201113-WA0022.jpg

I've seen a few chickens with green eyes.
Here's a thread that includes pictures of some chickens with green eyes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-color-are-your-chickens-eyes.548406/

Apparently green eyes just happen sometimes (genetics not understood).

But strange eye colors can also be a symptom of certain diseases.

If yours all have matching eyes, and seem healthy, then that is probably the natural eye color for them.

I've seen a few chickens with green eyes.
Here's a thread that includes pictures of some chickens with green eyes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-color-are-your-chickens-eyes.548406/

Apparently green eyes just happen sometimes (genetics not understood).

But strange eye colors can also be a symptom of certain diseases.

If yours all have matching eyes, and seem healthy, then that is probably the natural eye color for them.
Thank you. I'll take a look at the thread you shared, thanks for that. I do hope they stay green as they look quite striking. They are definitely healthy chicks, and they all have the same colour green in both eyes.

Back
Top Bottom