Green poop

Chickie3momma

In the Brooder
May 22, 2021
My chicken has been feeling un well since yesterday. She doesn’t look egg bound. It’s really hot here I noticed a watery white poop and then I also noticed a regular poop this morning that was dark green and had off to the side like a wrapped sausage looking piece. Kinda like a small thick intestine. Her butt was filled with poop stuck and I have her a bath and put athletes foot on her vent. What could it be? I haven’t fed anything green to change poop color. Thank you!
Added photo: poop looked normal until I smashed it there’s a dark green above the top or next to white

Attachments

• 2FB4A753-09AF-4D82-8CA9-737953142937.jpeg
    2FB4A753-09AF-4D82-8CA9-737953142937.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The poop you describe is troublesome. Coupled with lethargic behavior, it may indicate infection. You've described the poop very well, so no need to see a poop pic, but a photo of the hen would be helpful as we can pick up clues from her posture and eyes.

It would be smart to start tracking down an oral antibiotic as it's likely she'll need one. What is your location? City, state, country. Antibiotics are not available over the counter in all locations.

Most green poops are caused by they not eating enough or not digesting well. Have you deworm recently? With watery and green poops and dirty butt, worm could be a common cause. How is her crop? Is it empty in the morning? Is there any mite or lice?

My chicken has been feeling un well since yesterday. She doesn’t look egg bound. It’s really hot here I noticed a watery white poop and then I also noticed a regular poop this morning that was dark green and had off to the side like a wrapped sausage looking piece. Kinda like a small thick intestine. Her butt was filled with poop stuck and I have her a bath and put athletes foot on her vent. What could it be? I haven’t fed anything green to change poop color. Thank you!
photos of her and her poop would be helpful. It might be clostridium perfringens, but I'll tag some health experts and hopefully one or more of them will be along soon with some good advice for you; @azygous @coach723 @dawg53 @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock can you help here please?
The poop you describe is troublesome. Coupled with lethargic behavior, it may indicate infection. You've described the poop very well, so no need to see a poop pic, but a photo of the hen would be helpful as we can pick up clues from her posture and eyes.

It would be smart to start tracking down an oral antibiotic as it's likely she'll need one. What is your location? City, state, country. Antibiotics are not available over the counter in all locations.
I’m in Chino, CA 91710 USA

Attachments

• A5520641-9879-456D-9602-C3A5A39F0F3A.jpeg
    A5520641-9879-456D-9602-C3A5A39F0F3A.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 74E879EE-5ED3-4AEA-807E-95CE3C6E77C8.jpeg
    74E879EE-5ED3-4AEA-807E-95CE3C6E77C8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • B842CE4F-8D65-4A60-AA15-3BE9309AE11F.jpeg
    B842CE4F-8D65-4A60-AA15-3BE9309AE11F.jpeg
    687.6 KB · Views: 22
You will not be able to get antibiotics for your chickens without a vet prescription. The Law.

Your best bet is to find someone you know that has a leftover antibiotic prescription in their medicine cabinet. Or enlist an out-of-state friend or relative in ordering online and then mailing you the med when it arrives at their place. Subterfuge and sneakiness.

If you have a vet you use for other pets, you might try to get amoxycillin 250mg from them. You'll need a ten day supply.

had off to the side like a wrapped sausage looking piece. Kinda like a small thick intestine. Her butt was filled with poop stuck

Same hen as a while back?

I do see green poop in your photo. The wrapped sausage looking piece is a shell membrane. Hard to tell if it's just membrane with yolk or possibly Salpingitis.

The green may be just bile or because she was impacted since you had to help her out.

Get some Calcium Citrate with D3 and give her 1 tablet daily.
I agree, I'd get an antibiotic and treat her.
You are in CA, so it may be hard to get meds without a vet.
You *might* be able to order Baytril, I know some on CA can order online, it's worth a try to see if you can, otherwise you'll have to see a vet for meds. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Fresh feed, fresh water, calcium.

Did you ever deworm your flock?

Same hen as a while back?

I do see green poop in your photo. The wrapped sausage looking piece is a shell membrane. Hard to tell if it's just membrane with yolk or possibly Salpingitis.

The green may be just bile or because she was impacted since you had to help her out.

Get some Calcium Citrate with D3 and give her 1 tablet daily.
I agree, I'd get an antibiotic and treat her.
You are in CA, so it may be hard to get meds without a vet.
You *might* be able to order Baytril, I know some on CA can order online, it's worth a try to see if you can, otherwise you'll have to see a vet for meds. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Fresh feed, fresh water, calcium.

Did you ever deworm your flock?
I have not dewormed them I have the horse paste one and I can’t get them to eat it but I can give it at night if needed. This hen had pasty butt as a chick and has always had poop get stuck on her butt I try to keep her clean. I gave electrolytes yesterday in water.

I have not dewormed them I have the horse paste one and I can’t get them to eat it but I can give it at night if needed. This hen had pasty butt as a chick and has always had poop get stuck on her butt I try to keep her clean. I gave electrolytes yesterday in water.
Well, mine won't willing just eat the paste either.
Draw up the correct dose into a syringe, go out early in the morning while still roosting and treat them all.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom