Green poop

Sutekimalik

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2023
Hello, My 7 year old pekin has been unwell for nearly 6months now. We've had bloods and a CT scan, and he's currently on a long course of antifungal treatment. Three weeks ago we started antibiotics for possible respiratory infection 2 days ago which ended two days ago. Yesterday he started to poop quite a bright green colour, and I know it's not down to metal because he's inside and can't walk. I have an appointment booked in for Tuesday morning, as our vet is only part time, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what could be the cause in the meantime? Is it possible that it's down to the long course of treatment he's on and it's upset his Flora?

It also smells kinda.. fruity? Citrusy ? He's eaten nothing that would make it green, either. No lettuce, peas or grasses.

In himself he's fine, He's playful and preening.

Attachments

• 20240210_122830.jpg
    20240210_122830.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 56
Gosh I have no idea what might cause this bright green poop that smells fruity. Can you contact the vet and ask what they think would cause this? I would say that the good bacteria in his digestive tract is probably way off with all he is on. If he has any at all. Has he been on any probiotics? Neon poop usually means not eating and infection.
What is the diagnosis for treating with fungal meds?

He hasn't been on any probiotics, but I do have some here that I can give him. His appetite has been low for a while but it is slowly improving and he's getting interested in different foods now as well. He would only eat mealworms and raspberries at one stage, but he will now have spaghetti, birdseed and occasionally bread. (I know bread isn't the best but honestly I am happy for him to eat anything rather than nothing.)

Would it be best for me to syringe feed him the probiotics or add it to his feed / water?

He started off with a limp, which was treated as arthritis, but soon went completely off his legs. The CT scan showed both of his testicles are enlarged (we tried the implant with no change) and erosion into part of his pelvic bone from possible aspergillosis, so he was placed on antifungals. A month ago his breathing became heavier so the vet started treatment for possible respiratory infection because there is no air going through his lower air sac, but it hasn't improved. He held off on xrays on account of his breathing and him needing to be sedated.

He only open mouth breathes after eating too much, which would make sense if his crop enlarges and only one air sac is working?

He hasn't been on any probiotics, but I do have some here that I can give him. His appetite has been low for a while but it is slowly improving and he's getting interested in different foods now as well. He would only eat mealworms and raspberries at one stage, but he will now have spaghetti, birdseed and occasionally bread. (I know bread isn't the best but honestly I am happy for him to eat anything rather than nothing.)

Would it be best for me to syringe feed him the probiotics or add it to his feed / water?

He started off with a limp, which was treated as arthritis, but soon went completely off his legs. The CT scan showed both of his testicles are enlarged (we tried the implant with no change) and erosion into part of his pelvic bone from possible aspergillosis, so he was placed on antifungals. A month ago his breathing became heavier so the vet started treatment for possible respiratory infection because there is no air going through his lower air sac, but it hasn't improved. He held off on xrays on account of his breathing and him needing to be sedated.

He only open mouth breathes after eating too much, which would make sense if his crop enlarges and only one air sac is working?
Poor boy sounds like he’s been trough the ringer. I would get him on the probiotic and Don’t use water to give it they waste so much you don’t know how much they are getting,if he’s eating better just mix it into a small amount of feed so he gets it all. I’d also get some Rooster Booster “poultry cell” it’s packed with good things to help boost his immune system . Make sure it’s poultry cell.
Did the vet ever mention tube feeding?

poor baby i know it’s hard when we have to try to figure out what’s wrong.
one of my ducks has had a respiratory issues since December 7 it started with squeaking coughing hiccuping sounds at first I thought she swallowed some thing maybe got stuck in her throat? Then I realized I had used some straw that may have been slightly moldy. then I found out about oxine AH for aspergillosis . I started spraying it as mist over them . (after diluting, according to proper measurement ) Then I got a nebulizer started using that, but I didn’t think she got much better so I thought perhaps she has worms and used valbazen for that, and also gave her five days of Tylan antibiotic in case it was a respiratory infection, She sounded better so I stopped the treatment but then she got worse and then I found this chart from Majestic waterfowl sanctuary that lists all the symptoms they may have, and what possible, sickness or disease it could be. I realized it had to be aspergillosis so I went back to treating her by nebulizer. I put her in a small dog crate and cover it with a towel. and do 30 minute treatment every eight hours as best close at I can do to every eight hours . One other duck is doing the squeaking I think it’s the same thing so I added her to the treatments . anyway, majestic waterfall sanctuary has a really good little article about using oxine a H for aspergillosis and like I said, also the symptom chart, let me get you a link to my thread. It includes all of those things. if I can’t link it, because I’m outside on my cell phone. Somehow I can’t figure it out…. you can search :” runner duck cough or hiccups aspergillosis? “

Poor boy sounds like he’s been trough the ringer. I would get him on the probiotic and Don’t use water to give it they waste so much you don’t know how much they are getting,if he’s eating better just mix it into a small amount of feed so he gets it all. I’d also get some Rooster Booster “poultry cell” it’s packed with good things to help boost his immune system . Make sure it’s poultry cell.
Did the vet ever mention tube feeding?
He's never mentioned tube feeding, but I do have some critical care food and equipment just encase I needed to go down that route. Thankfully he picked up on his own, but I had been adding vetark ccf to his mealworms in water.

It looks like the rooster booster you mentioned isn't available in the UK, but I did order a bottle of vetark bsp vitamin drops yesterday.

poor baby i know it’s hard when we have to try to figure out what’s wrong.
one of my ducks has had a respiratory issues since December 7 it started with squeaking coughing hiccuping sounds at first I thought she swallowed some thing maybe got stuck in her throat? Then I realized I had used some straw that may have been slightly moldy. then I found out about oxine AH for aspergillosis . I started spraying it as mist over them . (after diluting, according to proper measurement ) Then I got a nebulizer started using that, but I didn’t think she got much better so I thought perhaps she has worms and used valbazen for that, and also gave her five days of Tylan antibiotic in case it was a respiratory infection, She sounded better so I stopped the treatment but then she got worse and then I found this chart from Majestic waterfowl sanctuary that lists all the symptoms they may have, and what possible, sickness or disease it could be. I realized it had to be aspergillosis so I went back to treating her by nebulizer. I put her in a small dog crate and cover it with a towel. and do 30 minute treatment every eight hours as best close at I can do to every eight hours . One other duck is doing the squeaking I think it’s the same thing so I added her to the treatments . anyway, majestic waterfall sanctuary has a really good little article about using oxine a H for aspergillosis and like I said, also the symptom chart, let me get you a link to my thread. It includes all of those things. if I can’t link it, because I’m outside on my cell phone. Somehow I can’t figure it out…. you can search :” runner duck cough or hiccups aspergillosis? “
Thank you for this. I do have a nebuliser and some solution the vet gave me that we have been using for two weeks now, but I haven't noticed any change. He gets moment where he will blow lots of bubbles, like he's trying to get something out, but so far we've just had a few small flaky bits of what looks like dried skin. I will look into this oxine AH though.

Kim's book is amazing, it's like my little duck bible lol I've always reached for it when in doubt. Sadly, my boy never showed any signs of fungal infection, which is why my vet assumed it to be arthritis. His bloods also showed nothing of concern, either. He's made my vet scratch his head a fair few times.

Back
Top Bottom