Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

had overnight temps in the high 20's the last 3 nights and have snow scheduled for friday,and the weekend. woohoo. I have strawberrys covered and rhubarb starting to come up, and looking over at the garden most of the straw I covered things up with is blown into the woods. Guess I'll get more out. Last year at this time there was a foot of snow on the garden.

I'm expecting rhubarb bulbs to come anytime I think.

The straw I had around the plants has been displaced by chickens scratching. I expect they are having a ball. The BR's that is. Roaming around and into the woods a bit. Clearly I will have to block them somehow.

We are in SE Idaho. Winters are ((( cold ))) !! Spring doesn't really spring until May, heavy sigh. But we've ordered our seeds and have a gentleman coming next week to disc up the garden. Our first year here on this property so we have been looking at ways to construct an eye pleasing fence around the garden to keep the birds out. The tulips are doing their best to grow. We have starts in the "greenhouse" and I noticed just yesterday that the lilac bushes are starting to bud out.... impatient is an understatement!:lol:

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this - oh well here goes. I think summer has arrived in England and will last until the weekend! It's been very warm, unseasonably so. The hens are sunbathing, the magnolia looks amazing and can be admired from the other end of the street. Don't go getting too upset with me though, we are back to the normal temps for this time of year by Sunday, around 14C.

Hopefully those of you who are experiencing inclement weather will soon be enjoying a wonderful spring.

CaroleM, Keep the snow shovels handy we had temps in the mid to high 80's all last week, and now we're getting high's in the 30's. Don't get me wrong I want to get some warm weather also, but would rather ease into it. Here in Michigan it's the only state in the US that you can get sunburned and frostbit in the same week.

Last edited:
Being on the Gulf Stream, if snow actually settles IN Plymouth, then we know it is bad else where. We have amazing views onto Dartmoor and can see the High Moor at Princetown in the distance - watching the snow field grow each year is interesting, even if we get very little ourselves. We did get it in 2010/11, quite badly, which was most unusual. Our magnolia got totally confused. Mind you, the standard of driving in Plymouth when we do get snow/ice is lousy - but that must be a totally different thread altogether!

I can't wait to get my veggie garden started. I bought some tomatoes and bell peppers today. I have to put them in pots though because I have an awful gopher problem. I saw a gopher pull one of my ganzanias down into it's hole today. Ooooh those gophers make me so mad! They've destroyed my yard but I'm afraid to poison them because of my dogs. Any tips?

The chickens got into the bed with the garlic and scratched the heck out of it. I'm still going to blame the mild winter or my husband will make me keep them locked up.Have to figure out where they are getting through the fence.

We are in SE Idaho. Winters are ((( cold ))) !! Spring doesn't really spring until May, heavy sigh. But we've ordered our seeds and have a gentleman coming next week to disc up the garden. Our first year here on this property so we have been looking at ways to construct an eye pleasing fence around the garden to keep the birds out. The tulips are doing their best to grow. We have starts in the "greenhouse" and I noticed just yesterday that the lilac bushes are starting to bud out.... impatient is an understatement!
lol.png

Behind my rustic fencing is two foot tall chicken wire. It works very well. The fence is about 45" high. Each main post is a green metal fence post with a wooden post attached. It was cheap for the most part and easy but time consuming to wire each stick in place. I save any wire that I get and recycle that.

Rancher; They didn't dig the bulbs totally up so should I just leave them or should dig one up to check on them?

Behind my rustic fencing is two foot tall chicken wire. It works very well. The fence is about 45" high. Each main post is a green metal fence post with a wooden post attached. It was cheap for the most part and easy but time consuming to wire each stick in place. I save any wire that I get and recycle that.

Back
Top Bottom