Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

how has it worked for you?

They are doing very well, not sure yet about the seeded beds, if they don't do well I'll just plant them out in roots next year. I planted them in the garden / chicken runs (I have a non-traditional set up) from what I've read asparagus love chicken poop. I could have harvested from the oldest bed this year, but wanted to give it extra time to mature before harvesting. I am also using the fact that they are perminent beds to plant the walking garlic and walking onions in those areas.

Has anyone done any straw bale raised beds? I have a few bales of alfalfa that wintered uncovered, and while straw is preferred, alfalfa is what I have.

Has anyone done any straw bale raised beds? I have a few bales of alfalfa that wintered uncovered, and while straw is preferred, alfalfa is what I have.

It shouldn't really make a difference I would think. One thing I have learned when not having enough soil to fill a raised bed is to fill the bottom with straw or hay or whatever and then put a layer of soil on top of that. Everything breaks down and it works quite well.

You can also do the same without raised beds by making a pile of straw or whatever you have and then back fill on top of it and then plant.

I had two built last year ;they work great already have garlic in one peas and shallots in another They are 4' x10' split in half want to add a few more this year

Im itching bad. Ordered some cedar boards to make raised beds. Has anyone dabbled with raised beds?

I have two small patches of asparagus one purple. It takes several years before they say you should start harvesting them this is my 4th year with them so I'm hoping to get a little more this season wouldn't suggest starting w/seed go to the agway store and buy some plants (roots)and plant them out. decide on a permanent spot cause they are perrenials.

What I like is that since no one had trampled the soil down, weeding is easy. I planted spinach and swiss chard and did not need a tool to work the soil. Just my bare hands. There is of course no sharp rocks to deal with either.

Forgot to ask anyone grow Asparagus?

My entire garden is raised beds...has been for over 13 years.

You need to replenish the humus in the soil each year. I use compost. It helps keep the soil aerated and retain moisture.

Every third year we double dig the beds to work the soil deep and to make sure there is no "pan" forming. We have clay soil.

About that asparagus ~ I've been kind of afraid to try it cuz a house my sister moved into had it growing all over the place - even in the lawn !! Won't it spread out of control ? Maybe a raised bed is the answer but how much would you get out of a 4' x 4' ? And wow - it really takes that long for a harvest, huh?

Back
Top Bottom