Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

I recently took my late tomatoes out of the ground and transplanted them into containers that i am taking in and out into the sunshine. Believe me or not they are actually doing better.

Now that is dedication
Going to try and get the garlic in the ground within the next 2 weeks
That about it for my gardens this year
Good for you

I just picked all the salvageable tomatoes to wash and put on a rack with some apples. Though I suppose I may just toss them as I'll be leaving in a week and DW will not take care of them She's a waster. Which is why I have chickens. If I didn't can tomatoes there would be no reason to plant.

Last edited:
My garden is officially done for the year. Although, unofficially it was done half way through summer lol. Anyway, we harvested sunflower heads, so I'm done except clean-up. The sunflowers did great through the drought. The wild birds will be happy this winter.

We turned our chickens out into the garden about a week ago. They've been working very diligently for us so I'm thinking come spring we won't have to do much more than plant! DH is working on a cold frame though, so I'm hoping we'll have a little sumpin' sumpin' through most of the winter.

We turned our chickens out into the garden about a week ago. They've been working very diligently for us so I'm thinking come spring we won't have to do much more than plant! DH is working on a cold frame though, so I'm hoping we'll have a little sumpin' sumpin' through most of the winter.

I just opened the gate this past week to the garden. The chickens can do what they have to. I planted garlic yesterday and I suppose there will be some lettuce and swill chard before snow. Oh and the parsely too. I have considered building a cold frame but have to much to do as it is.
I'm leaving for AL in a week and won't be back til the end of November. DW has said she will take care of the birds and DD will be coming to do laundry, so they should be ok.

I do hope to put together a bed or two for corn and pumpkins next year. I've bought bags of garden soil already and placed it around the yard where the beds will go.
big_smile.png
I'm already anticipating the seed catalogs.

I had a cutting from one of my house plants started in a six pack. I left it in too long and noticed some really thick, long roots were climbing out of its compartment and into the adjoining compartments. They were perfectly molded to the container! So here's my winter project:
a7u3y9u8.jpg

I put a cool looking rock in the 2L bottle, then put the started plant on top of the rock and just barely covered the whole works with soil. I'm going to keep the soil surface fairly dry, so the roots have to grow down along the rock to moisture. As the roots get deeper I'll cut the bottle down and brush the soil away, making the roots go deeper and deeper. Eventually the whole rock will be exposed, with roots wrapped around it. Then I'll set the rock and plant on top of some soil in a real planter.
The idea is to make it look like those trees I see pictures of in the jungle. They appear to be growing right over the rubble of old ruins and stuff....
What do you think? Is this a bit too crazy? Do I have you worried yet?

I had a cutting from one of my house plants started in a six pack. I left it in too long and noticed some really thick, long roots were climbing out of its compartment and into the adjoining compartments. They were perfectly molded to the container! So here's my winter project:
a7u3y9u8.jpg

I put a cool looking rock in the 2L bottle, then put the started plant on top of the rock and just barely covered the whole works with soil. I'm going to keep the soil surface fairly dry, so the roots have to grow down along the rock to moisture. As the roots get deeper I'll cut the bottle down and brush the soil away, making the roots go deeper and deeper. Eventually the whole rock will be exposed, with roots wrapped around it. Then I'll set the rock and plant on top of some soil in a real planter.
The idea is to make it look like those trees I see pictures of in the jungle. They appear to be growing right over the rubble of old ruins and stuff....
What do you think? Is this a bit too crazy? Do I have you worried yet?

I'm so glad I'm not alone in strangeness when it comes to my plants.
Carol

It is pretty weird isn't it... The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. But it will be awesome if it works! Hahaha!

I started seeds in my sewing room window and forgot about them long enough that the snap peas had time to vine up into the blinds! So I transplanted there, and left it all as is. Now have lettuce and snap peas (with pods on them) in my sewing room window.

Outside we've got tons more lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and corn doing just wonderfully. This is part of desert living I love. Mild fall, perfect for another harvest.

Back
Top Bottom