Green tomatoes

Equus5O

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
Knowlton, NJ (Warren County)
What else can you do with them, besides fried and relish? I've never had green tomato relish, and I really don't want to go through all that and not like it. Someone mentioned to me pickled green tomatoes. Is that the same as relish?

I believe pickled is the same as relish.

Paula Deen makes a Green Tomato Pie. The recipe is here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/green-tomato-pie-recipe/index.html

Let
me know if you make it and if it's any good
tongue.png

Ya know, I think I may go with the relish after all. I've been recipes and comments, and it seems to be on a par with regular old relish. I won't be able to do it until next week, though. I can't do any canning during my work week. I'd be up all night!

And, from what I've been reading pickled and relish are two different animals. The relish sounds more appealing to me than the pickled.

I'm not too sure about green tomato pie, either! LOL

I do a green tomato relish from the joy of cooking cookbook.

I also do a modified Enchilada sauce recipe that I made up.

7 to 8 oz. green tomatoes (about 5 medium)
1 qt. homemade or low-salt chicken broth
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. fresh green peppers and some hot peppers (remember this is a made up recipe so all #'s are really just an estimation.)
2 minced yellow onions
2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
1 cup apple cider vinegar

Dice all ingredients and add everything to big pot

Simmer for 30 minutes.

Puree in cuisinart

Put back in pot and cook until thick.

Can and water bath seal for 20 minutes (or adjust for your altitude).

I use this sauce when making homemade enchiladas.

Last edited:
Since my husband has about 100 acres of tomatoes right now, I've learned lots of ways to slice, diced, pickle, you name it green and red tomatoes. Pickled green tomatoes are pickle just like cucumbers, but taste a whole lot better. I think Ball canning jar company has a recipe for them in their cookbook. If you can't find it let me know and I'll email it to you.

Quote:
Thanks. I have the book. I'll have to go check. Mostly what I have now are small green beefsteak type tomatoes. The plums are pretty much done. What do you prefer to use?

Back
Top Bottom