Greenhouse coop

Attachments

• IMG_20230217_140817.jpg
    IMG_20230217_140817.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 4
I was thinking of one of these I saw 10x20 and possibly a 15x20 nice thing is they have windows I'd have to keep the open at all times in the summer I figured if I built a run where the door is I could keep the door open all summer too

Oh, I thought you meant a hard plastic greenhouse. No, it wouldn't make a good coop, predators will get right through it. You'd have to take off the tarp, wrap it hardware cloth IF the frame will take the weight. And put the tarp back on.
You could build a secure coop and use that as a run, once you wrap it in 1x2 fencing.

Oh, I thought you meant a hard plastic greenhouse. No, it wouldn't make a good coop, predators will get right through it. You'd have to take off the tarp, wrap it hardware cloth IF the frame will take the weight. And put the tarp back on.
That's what I was thinking knock on wood the biggest threat I have are hawks I've been very lucky so far with coons and fox but it doesn't mean I shouldn't use hardware cloth tho anything can happen

I was thinking of one of these I saw 10x20 and possibly a 15x20 nice thing is they have windows I'd have to keep the open at all times in the summer I figured if I built a run where the door is I could keep the door open all summer too
I seriously doubt that structure would hold up to much snow load...
....as well as the predator issues mentioned above.

I also wanna use 4x4 s around it too at the bottom around the greenhouse too to help the chickens not escape under the plastic
It'll take more than a 4x4. to keep the bird in...
...and predators out.
Anti-dig apron are best for that.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I seriously doubt that structure would hold up to much snow load...
....as well as the predator issues mentioned above.

It'll take more than a 4x4. to keep the bird in...
...and predators out.
Anti-dig apron are best for that.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
Thanks I neve saw that before I figured with the snow I'd go out and clean it off I'm in berks county pa and snow has been slim the last few winters watch next winter we ll get a few feet part of the reaso for the 4x4 s is to help weigh it down we ve been lucky we haven't had severe winds finders crossed

My main concerns with this kind of structure would be snow load in winter if you get snow, predator protection, and ventilation. Plastic is not likely to be able to withstand any sort of heavy snow or ice, and it definitely won't hold up against any kind of determined predator. It also collects humidity really easily in my experience.

My chickens have a greenhouse (a plastic wrapped structure somewhat like the one in the picture) as a hangout structure / composting area for day use. I had to knock the snow down when there was a storm and it got roughly a foot of snow on top.

It sometimes ends up being colder inside than outside, which is really not ideal for a space where they will presumably be roosting in at night. It can also get humid really quickly (and really hot when the sun hits it just right), which could lead to frostbite or heatstroke concerns among other things if they can't regulate how they're using it.

Personally, I would make that into a fun run or hangout structure for the chickens and find or build something else to serve as a coop. It may be possible to turn that into a coop, but I would use something other than plastic to go around it (if I was attempting this myself). I suspect that by that point the frame will not take the added weight very well. It really depends.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom