Greetings from Melbourne Florida!

kaylakala

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Melbourne Florida
We just got 15 week old Rhode Island Red chickens from the local feed store. They sell them every Easter.

I took my 4 year old too look at the cute chickies and duckies and told hubby.

Well he went and got some.

Now we have to build a coop and chicken yard. Any suggestions?

Welcome!
wee.gif
I'm just south of Jax. I would suggest going to the Coops part of this site and looking at everyone else's. I got great ideas for my latest coop from this site.

I'm reading as fast as I can!!!!

I'm really nervous about all this.

Hubby says if its to much we can always eat them.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about that though.

I have a concrete slab that was supposed to be used for a dog kennel. We have a 12X12 chain link kennel on the slab. Then we have another 12X12 kennel attatched to that for a run. We have a plastic type storage shed from Lowes that I lock them up in every night so I dont lose anymore to the coons. I buy the small fine shavings from the feed store and put the shavings in the house then I put a very thin layer on the concrete. It makes it so easy to take care of. I change it about once a week and pick out the poop with a manure fork every morning and fluff up the bedding. We are planning to extend the run another 20 feet or more soon. We plan on using just the wire horse fence with the smaller squares and fencing the top so the hawks dont get them. We have hawks that hang around alot and take whatever they can get their sticky feet on. There are tons of ideas on this site to help you figure out what you want to build. Having chickens are alot of fun. Enjoy it:D!

Back
Top Bottom