Greetings from Northern California

Hello Heather and welcome to our community.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 (there's a guide on how to include your location under your avatar - including your location is very helpful).

Best wishes

Pork Pie

byc1-chicken-feed.gif

Smart of you to be doing your research first and thinking ahead! I have two dogs, a yellow lab and a blue-nose pit bull. Our lab never had a concern in the world for chickens, but our pittie was alarmingly interested. I worked with her using the "leave it" command and offering her yummy treats only if she broke her intense gaze and walked away, and we played games (on leash) in the presence of chickens. Now she totally ignores the birds because she's waaay more interested in cleaning up all the chicken poop instead :sick

"Leave it" is a very valuable command that you could even start teaching now. And here's a link to an old thread, but there's some useful information in there:
How did YOU train your dogs to leave chickens alone?

Good luck in your future chicken adventure!

View attachment 1562898

Smart of you to be doing your research first and thinking ahead! I have two dogs, a yellow lab and a blue-nose pit bull. Our lab never had a concern in the world for chickens, but our pittie was alarmingly interested. I worked with her using the "leave it" command and offering her yummy treats only if she broke her intense gaze and walked away, and we played games (on leash) in the presence of chickens. Now she totally ignores the birds because she's waaay more interested in cleaning up all the chicken poop instead :sick

"Leave it" is a very valuable command that you could even start teaching now. And here's a link to an old thread, but there's some useful information in there:
How did YOU train your dogs to leave chickens alone?

Good luck in your future chicken adventure!
Awesome thank you!! I’ll check it out

Hi Heather and welcome to BYC! I’min Northern California, too, but in the By Area. Are you way up north?
Also, I think your Golden Retriever will be great with chickens with some training!
Sorry still getting used to how to do messaging here I think I replied in the main posting area at first, boy I’m getting old:) we are in Durham near Chico, CA

Back
Top Bottom