Grey squirrel

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pekin747, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    R they dangerous to hens or ducks
    I can legal get ride of they r a threat but I wont set traps or anything if they r harmless to hens and ducks

2. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    grey squirrels might carry fleas or lice. they will not attack the chickens.

There is an organization, department, that would like to know about the squirrel. sorry i can't remember the name of it but it is asked that grey squirrel be reported, along with red one. as you probably already are aware, the grey squirrel is a threat. with the resurgence of the pine martin, red squirrels are able to regain some of their natural habitat. grey squirrels also do significant damage to certain indigenous trees.

www.woodlandmammals.com by emailing [email protected].

i took this off an irish times article from online.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely not a threat to the Birds. I have lots around here and my Cat hunts them. They never get into my pens though..

4. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Ok I dont have a lot of cata but therea a few wild ones
    Yea I know they r getting rarer here I going to contact them and see what I can do about it
    Cheers for all the advise

chickens really likes this.
  5. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Oh and that website isnt working the woodland one

6. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
  7. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    or try irishwildlife

8. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I've reported they said caus of the high number of red squirrels try and trap it and they will take it and basically get ride of it but if I catch a red squirrels I'm to look for a small tag and if I cant see one let them.know and they will I'm assuming tag and number it or sonothing like that

LeggyLeghorn likes this.
  9. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    Yes I was certain that they are counting red squirrels. I think they are so beautiful. Hope you catch the grey one or are able to end its life sadly but they are a invasive non-indigenous rodent. Let me know if you catch the grey one!

MROO and Pekin747 like this.
  10. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Will do ove just been briefed on how to catch it it's a long process but at the end of the day a rodent is a rodent I'm not allowed to.shoot it oddly enough as where it was seen there is a protection area for hawks and u can only use libe traps I was really disappointed by this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: