Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
After renovating the Little Monitor Coop and setting it up as a brooder, we set out to acquire chicks today.

DH and I went to breakfast and ran errands, killing time until past 10 -- when the very nice employee of Carolina Town & Country in Sanford, NC, whom I spoke to on Friday, had said that today's delivery of chicks were likely to be in. Unfortunately, the chicks were delayed in the mail and, while they had the Australorps (which I didn't know came in blue), and Light Brahmas (which I hadn't expected to be in stock at all), they didn't have the Delawares I particularly wanted.

So we ran more errands, went home for lunch, then set out again in the afternoon, figuring that either the chicks would have come in or I'd have to pick from what they had.

By 3pm the chicks had arrived -- all but the Delawares, which hadn't been available. 🙁

While the knowledgeable and pleasant clerk was helping another customer I looked at the chicks and looked at them again. I finally chose 2 each of the California White and Blue Australorps I'd planned on and 2 of the Light Brahmas I hadn't expected to be able to get. I pondered the Naked Necks and the Blue Rocks then asked if the Wyandottes really could handle our climate. The lady who was helping me assured me that she had Wyandottes and they were fine in her backyard flock. She then helped me pick probable Silver-Laced chicks from the "Assorted Wyandottes" bin and I substituted them for my Delawares.

We rode home in the pickup with a cheeping box in the sun on my lap and the AC turned a bit too warm for our comfort.

Each chick was individually photographed as they were unboxed and had their beaks dipped in the water. They quickly found the feeder.

1593207682342.png

Quickly. Within 10 minutes.

We enjoyed chick TV for a good hour. They all ate and drank then went exploring in the brooder -- the larger Brahma (they are two weeks rather than 2 days), and an intrepid Calilfornia White leading the way.

To our surprise, one of the Wyandottes pecked at a bug on the coop wall -- missing it's first shot at live protein but making a valiant effort considering it had been in the brooder for maybe half an hour. Then one of the Blue Australorps found and ate an ant. Later the little velociraptors ganged up on a tiny spider!

After exploring all around and returning to the food and water several times they started to settle under the heat lamp so we closed the door and let them be for a while.

1593208872422.png

Next up, Baby Pictures!

Because we were afraid that the Light Brahmas, who are two weeks old, might jump out while we were attending to the others we started unboxing them with the smallest chicks, the Wyandottes. DH lifted them from the box, DS#3 took pictures, and I dipped beaks in water.

1593209037946.png
1593209051856.png

Second, the Blue Australorps -- one paler, the other darker with white tips on it's tiny wing feathers:

1593209154560.png
1593209177701.png

Next the California Whites:

1593209225055.png
1593209248744.png

And finally, the Light Brahmas -- one larger with more developed wings, the other smaller:

1593209300580.png
1593209324669.png

All are supposed to be pullets but, of course, I know that there could be a cockerel. The plan is, assuming that the new, larger coop, is not finished by the time they become too crowded, to sell extra hens and eat any accidental cockerels.

Not that any plan can ever be carved in stone. 😉

To be continued.

So, ...

After 2 days of testing with the 40 watt bulb in the heat lamp holding 90-95 directly underneath with nights in the low 70's (as forecast), the first night for the chicks the temperature outside dropped 5 degrees lower and so did the inside.

At 2am I found them huddled tightly under the lamp -- not complaining, but clearly packed for warmth.

I quickly made up a hot water bottle then tried to figure out something that wouldn't require me to get up every hour all night. I realized that even though we've mostly changed to LED bulbs, there was a 60 watt. incandescent bulb in my desk lamp.

So, picture me out in the yard by the coop in my nightgown and flip-flops changing the bulb in the heat lamp. 🤣

First thing this morning they are cuddled, not huddled and quietly dozing.

1593259987024.png

I will stop at the pet store today and get a 60 watt night reptile bulb because these unseasonably cool upper-60's nights and upper 80's days are now forecast to last for a week. (Yes, this is unseasonably cool for the NC Sandhills in late June/early July).

Right now, in the middle of the afternoon, the heat lamp is unplugged and the chicks seem perfectly happy with 90 in the coop -- moving around exploring, eating, and running in panic terror of the giant creature who takes the wall away. ;)

I bought a 60 watt, night reptile bulb so that I can have my desk lamp back and they can have a normal daylight/nighttime sleep schedule.

Here they are having a nap this morning after I changed their water and paper towels.

1593283683420.png

They are acquiring names. The two California Whites, who are bolder than the others, are Spicy (fewer spots), and Chipotle (more spots). The larger Light Brahma is Omelet and the smaller is Dumpling. The paler Blue Australorp is Cordon. DS#3, my 14yo, wants to call the darker one Charcoal but I'm not sure that "Charcoal Grilled" meets my food-name criteria.

We haven't picked anything yet for the Wyandottes. They're shy little things who haven't shown much personality yet except for being intrepid hunters of ants.

Last night was better with the 60 watt reptile bulb. When I checked on them at 2am and 5am (I was up for the bathroom anyway), they were what my 14yo calls "loosely cuddled" under the lamp with the temps in the upper 60's. Friday night/Saturday wee hours with the white light they'd been moving around and not resting.

This morning I had to raise the lamp early because we're serving at church and then have a luncheon for our departing Worship Leader. I figured they'd be ;better off snuggling for warmth as the temps rose through the 70's outside than overheated as late morning/early afternoon headed for the 90's. The newly-hatched chicks seem to like to cuddle against the larger, 2-week-old Brahma chicks, who appear to have no objection.

I spent a couple hours last evening sitting next to the access door watching Chick TV while reading on my Kindle and occasionally lifting a chick out for petting. As dusk fell they started to gather under the light and doze.

Then one of them would decided it wanted a snack and a drink and start a stampede to the feeder and waterer.

Dumpling, the smaller Brahma, falls asleep standing up -- her eyes closing, her head slowly dropping.

Sad discovery after church. We lost Spicy, the smaller California White, who had been the intrepid explorer who was first to seek out the rest of the brooder after being introduced to the water and food.

Last night she was fine -- eating, drinking, and running around just like the rest. I noticed this morning when I changed the water and filled the feeder that she was sleepy when the rest were scurrying around, picked her up, petted her for a moment, and set her back down. She walked to the lamp, sat on the thermometer, and went back to sleep.

When I got home from church half an hour ago she was gone.

No pasty butt, no visible problems. Just stretched out motionless about a foot from where I'd last seen her. :(

One of those things, I suppose.

Sad discovery after church. We lost Spicy, the smaller California White, who had been the intrepid explorer who was first to seek out the rest of the brooder after being introduced to the water and food.

Last night she was fine -- eating, drinking, and running around just like the rest. I noticed this morning when I changed the water and filled the feeder that she was sleepy when the rest were scurrying around, picked her up, petted her for a moment, and set her back down. She walked to the lamp, sat on the thermometer, and went back to sleep.

When I got home from church half an hour ago she was gone.

No pasty butt, no visible problems. Just stretched out motionless about a foot from where I'd last seen her. :(

One of those things, I suppose.
I’m sorry for your loss...

(side note: is church possible during covid? Here in the Netherlands we were not allowed to gather. From 1st of july it’s allowed again but 1,5m distance and no singing)

I’m sorry for your loss...

(side note: is church possible during covid? Here in the Netherlands we were not allowed to gather. From 1st of july it’s allowed again but 1,5m distance and no singing)

Thank you.

Yes, we're having church with masks and social distancing. The worship center is set up with family-sized groups of chairs set apart from each other and those of us who serve as volunteers have to have masks and disinfect things between services.

Back
Top Bottom