Grit and oyster shells

Chicken don't need grit if they are outside. They can find plenty of it in the dirt.
Chicks are mostly kept in bin or something, so they will need grit. I always just mixed it in with their food, that way they can have it when eating.

Chicken don't need grit if they are outside. They can find plenty of it in the dirt.
Chicks are mostly kept in bin or something, so they will need grit. I always just mixed it in with their food, that way they can have it when eating.
The first statement is not universally true as soil type varies considerably from one location to the next. Not all soils provide sufficient appropriate for materiel. Grit is so inexpensive I classify it as better to have and not need than need and not have....and supply it free choice to my flock just as I do oyster shell.

The first statement is not universally true as soil type varies considerably from one location to the next. Not all soils provide sufficient appropriate for materiel. Grit is so inexpensive I classify it as better to have and not need than need and not have....and supply it free choice to my flock just as I do oyster shell.
I never give grit to my birds, but mine free range. It is not necessary, but good to have on hand.

I offer it in separate containers, oyster shell near feed in coop 20160819_102752.jpg and grit away from feed. In my raised coop grit is under coop. 20170503_093342.jpg GC

Agreed on both counts. I have seen areas where there is nothing on the ground, EVERYWHERE but silty/sandy/soil. Not a speck of grit to be seen. I was talking to a lady yesterday, and she said that there are NO rocks where she lives. Absolutely NO rocks. She lives in an area that has been built up by repeated flooding from a major river, so, the area is a combination of silt and clay. While I do have ample grit in my soil, if my chicks are in a tractor that is moved frequently enough that they don't destroy the turf, they need supplemental grit. I always give grit to my chicks. But, if you have a gravel driveway, you can most likely find appropriate grit simply by scooping it up with a flat blade shovel! And, I never go into the winter without having a good supply of grit on hand. The ground is frozen solid here for about 5 months. No grit available then! I don't consider grit to be inexpensive: I pay $10/bag. That's pretty costly, imo for a bunch of coarse gravel/pebbles, but it's cheap insurance to ensure that your birds have what they need to process their feed properly.

We have a homemade wood dispenser that hangs on the wall of the coop, one side has grit, the other oyster shell. The chickens take what they need.

Back
Top Bottom