Grit and Scratch?

Lehi Cougar

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2015
I am new to raising chickens, I have three week old chicks. I have read you need to start grit when you start feeding treats. Does the grit just get added to the chick feed, thrown on the ground or what is the best way. And what exactly is scratch and why and when is it used.

TIA

I put it in a separate container. You can put it on the ground but some will be wasted. It's cheap so that isn't a big deal.
Scratch is a mix of grains thrown on the ground so chickens can 'Scratch' for it.
Scratching for food is a chicken thing so is good for them. That said, don't overdo it. I don't give anything but chick starter/grower for at least 8 weeks other than what they find foraging.

I started giving mine Chick Grit around 5 weeks old. I put it in a cat food tin, screwed to the coop wall. I haven't given Scratch yet but throw grass, mealworms and "treat" on the floor for them to peck around and find.

I start giving them chick grit at about 3 weeks because that is when I start giving them healthy treats such as lettuce and hardboiled eggs. (by the way they won't touch the lettuce. What's with that?)

When they go outside, if they are free ranging, they find grit in the dirt, so no need to supply it after that.

P.S. I just sprinkle some on top of their chick starter crumbles like salt.

Last edited:
SJchickens, mine don't really like lettuce either but love fresh grass. I pick some everyday and toss it on the floor of the coop. Our run isn't finished yet so they are confined to the coop for now.

Back
Top Bottom