Grit Recommendations

kh6234

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2023
2 11 week old 4 17 week old pullets. What brand of grit is good? Adult or chick? I’m figuring adult but wanted to check. Are the Dumor and Manna Pro brands safe?

Thank you! I haven’t got them yet, should have added that to my initial post. Getting them next week and trying to buy everything before i pick them up!

2 11 week old 4 17 week old pullets. What brand of grit is good? Adult or chick? I’m figuring adult but wanted to check. Are the Dumor and Manna Pro brands safe?
Im sure both those brands are fine. I didnt care for Dumor because it looked more like shards of rock. Anytime I processed chickens, the gizzards always have smooth round pebbles. So I use tube sand. You can get 60# tube sand that has lots of small pea size pebbles. They'll dust bath in it as well.

Either will be fine. They may not even need it with access to the ground in most cases. My environment is void of appropriate rock. It's cheap enough and doesn't spoil. I would offer it even if I had the right soil

Brand doesn't matter. All it is in most cases is crushed granite. Any very hard rock should do fine.

This photo shows sizes. At 11 weeks they're probably between grower and layer size, and the 17 week olds should be on layer size. But you can see that each pile has a variety of sizes, so aiming for the largest size with some variance should be fine for the whole group.

grit2.png

Brand doesn't matter. All it is in most cases is crushed granite. Any very hard rock should do fine.

This photo shows sizes. At 11 weeks they're probably between grower and layer size, and the 17 week olds should be on layer size. But you can see that each pile has a variety of sizes, so aiming for the largest size with some variance should be fine for the whole group.

View attachment 3700461
Thanks! They take what they need right? They won’t eat too much of it?

Thanks! They take what they need right? They won’t eat too much of it?
Yes. In the rare case that you get a bird that gorges on it (and you'll know because grit in a dispenser just vanishes, instead of taking months to slowly go down) then you'll need to restrict how much you put out, but it's unusual to have a bird want to gorge on rocks.

Back
Top Bottom