Grit, Treats, etc...

m2wandc

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Can you give treats and grit right from the beginning?

If not, at what age do you, can you start?

My chicks got a hold of some 'grits' because my kids plopped some in the brooder, the chicks are 5 days old.

Give them parakeet grit for a few days before starting any treats.

As for treats, start introducing them to greens, veggies, fruits, yogurt nearly any time after giving them grit. Check out the treat chart on the "Feeeding/Watering" section.

I started mine on chopped hard boiled eggs and plain yogurt at 10 days old.
Your kids are gonna love watching them eat yogurt. You may want to dress them in raincoats for this event - the kids, not the chicks.
smile.png

Oh, and they are often afraid of their first treats. Leave the treats in the brooder with them for awhile and they'll get brave enough to try them.

Quote:
Do they "become" afraid? because so far the random things I've stuck in the brooder, the little black BR has quickly investigated as I was setting it down and the BO isn't far behind, sometimes taking over, like she's sending in the BR to 'check it out' and once deemed OK, she comes in and takes over....

Quote:
Do they "become" afraid? because so far the random things I've stuck in the brooder, the little black BR has quickly investigated as I was setting it down and the BO isn't far behind, sometimes taking over, like she's sending in the BR to 'check it out' and once deemed OK, she comes in and takes over....

Nah, but they do seem to take spells. Sometimes being brave and tuff little boogers, other times afraid of everything.

The wife decided to see what the chicks would do with a little cottage cheese today. After a little pursuading from her the chicks quickly went from not knowing what to do to playing games of keep away. It provided almost half an hour of amusement for her and our 6 year old. We will try yogurt tomorrow. Our hens love strawberry yogurt, cottage cheese and rice with a little bit of sliced bannana.

Guess its time to start giving the chickies some treats.....

We think they are about 2 weeks old maybe older, they are starting to fly now. We have to keep the screen on the brooder until we clip their wings.

Back
Top Bottom