Grit??????

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I am wondering if, when a chicken pecks at grit and gets it in their--is it their gizzard?--to grind up their food, does this grit pass right on thru, so they need a constant supply of grit, (which mine have) or does the grit stay in the gizzard so that if they don't have it daily, they are still fine?

Judy, I don't think they have to have it daily, but eventually whatever grit they've consumed is ground down and needs to be renewed. Think rock tumbler polishing rocks. Sooner or later, the rocks will be come sand if you never quit tumbling them.

I remember when my mom would clean a hen...the gizzard was her favorite part to eat and the hens gizzard always had a sand like substance in it .... it was the stones and pebbles that had worn down like sand...I'm sure they don't need to replenish it daily.....

my mom's favorite part was the gizzard too. i'm not there yet, but maybe one day. i sort of think it's like a treasure chest when you open it up.

Thanks, everyone. My favorite part was always the gizzard too, but they are so rich I have had to give them up since joining Weight Watchers.
tongue.png

I used to buy a pack of them in the meat dept. and boil and eat them all. Those wonderful days are over, apparently. LOL

Back
Top Bottom