Grits - insoluble and soluble…

vidyaalfaro

In the Brooder
May 29, 2022
Hello - New to raising chickens. I have one Laying Hen and four 2 week old chicks. Right now feeding the hen, Lyra, Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Layer Mash Chicken Feed. The babies are on Starter Feed.

I have been reading a lot about grits. Got my hen I am reading that I should get grits. Should I get insoluble as well as oyster shell? If so can anyone recommend a good brand and type?

For the chicks I read that they only need grits when they start eating anything other than their starter.

Thank You for your help!! 🐥🐓

Hi there, oyster shell isn't the same as grit, grit is crushed granite. to aid the gizzard in digestion. if they free range or have access to the ground it might not be nessecery but since it's cheap, it's good to provide. oyster shell is well, oyster shell for calcium but if they're only layer, they shouldn't need it.

You need insoluble (i.e. granite) and soluble grit (i.e. oyster). Brand doesn't really matter, though I'd check the "ingredient" list and choose a brand that doesn't add in any extra anythings other than the main component.

Granite grit sizes:
grit2.png

You mentioned your hen's feed brand, but what about the chicks? If you're using Scratch & Peck starter you really should be giving grit immediately to the chicks, as the feed isn't processed down as much as other brands of chick starter. I don't offer S&P starter to chicks until they're slightly older because of that.

for the babies, I am feeding Purina Start & Grow Starter Non Medicated. For that, do I need a chick grit?
It's less necessary in that case, as that feed would be well ground and then turned into crumbles. However I personally believe in providing grit early on anyhow, especially as I raise my chicks outdoors, as they'll eat everything from bits of their bedding to bugs, dirt, etc.

Back
Top Bottom