gross vent on chick (new pic 4/6) ** warning: graphic pix **

ps. the skin below the vent has been dark for over a week. At first I thought it might be bruised from her self picking, except it hasn't resolved.

flush the area with sterile saline before applying any antibiotic cream ...
The mouthwash has as its "active" ingredient , (usually) CHLORHEXIDINE which is what is recommended for wounds (however at half the recommended concentration)... you can also get HIBICLENS at the store (active ingredient CHLORHEXIDINE)
The blue may be from the triple antibiotic actually.
There is a wound healing product which you can find usually in the horse section ... here is info on that... if you can possibily get it (keep in your emergency kit) is my advice and use this instead of the constant reapplication of the triple antibiotic. Do not use olive oil.
http://www.ronsvetsupply.com/granulexv.html
(google this product if your feed store does not have it as it also comes in a smaller (non-aerosol) and prices vary.

re the yogurt> the problems assoc with milk are not present with yogurt (the sugars causing the problem have been converted during the process to make yogurt) You can offer your chickies yogurt free choice ... that minimal amount will do little for probiotics... give to them free choice (I do from day one)

Thanks for the info DLHUnicorn. I have chlorahexadine scrub on hand and will try that. Also have Nolvasan ointment from my vet (ClHx is the active ingredient) if that's an option.

Here's a photo of it this morning, after the ointment has worn off:

vent2.jpg

You can see the little scabby sore stuff.

Cheers,
Michelle

Last edited:
pps. I looked at brown listerine - no chlorohexidine in it as an active or inactive ingredient. I would have been suprised if there was. Would more likely have been tricholorsan, which they put in to everything - including toothpaste.

I gently cleaned chickie's bum with betadine surgical wash and a very light coating of nolvasan ointment. That will kill any lurking bacteria, for certain.

Cheers,
Michelle

I think that certainly looks better. Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you gently wash away the crusty dead stuff before you reapply anything. Is she eatig and drinking alright for you?

Thanks - I'll get another photo tonight. It looks even better now than this morning.

She is active and eating and drinking. But she is half the size of the other chicks & her feathers are slow to fill in... 'Lil cutie.

funkychick.jpg

The MSDS for triple antibiotic says it can cause allergic reactions in susceptible people - maybe it was causing some of the trouble for her? She hasn't been picking at herself since I used other stuff to treat it.

Cheers,
Michelle

She looks better. She is probably a little smaller because her body was fighting infection.

The dark spots below her bottom are natural, don't worry about that.

I my opinion, I would quit putting ointment on her and let the skin dry out and heal. You can wipe her with an antibiotic wash once or twice a day and let it dry.

Back
Top Bottom