Ground cover for run

We're hoping to attach a covered run to one side of our coop this year, so maybe some of our plans/ideas could help you

We've already dug out a good chunk of the clay & fashioned a stone French drain toward a lower part of the yard. Previously, if it rained, the flock could use the plank as a diving board into their own private swimming pool. So far this spring, it seems to be working well
The plan is to build 2' x 5' x 6"-8" grow boxes covered with 1/2" hardware cloth which would be permanent. This way they can graze on whatever grows above the hardware cloth, but can't scratch out the roots. They would also help fertilize them. I expect to seed them with alfalfa, flax. clovers, perennial grass & whatever's leftover of the seeds for my garden (basil/parsley/oregano etc). The annuals can change from year to year.

In between they would have pathways of shavings, wood chips etc. except close to the coop where I'm putting 2 bins for dust baths. The bin idea passed the trial run in the coop this winter. We'll just have to see if the shavings/chips work. If not, we'll do sand.

We also need to leave an area for "cooling pools" for the summer. We'll use a couple of patio tiles to put a couple of turkey roasters on.

Good luck:)

I have a large uncovered run (15x40) and basically do DLM also. I'm planning to have some wood chips brought in this spring but in the meantime what I've done is taken all of the bedding from the coop once it is partially composted and dumped it in the run. Mostly straw and pine shavings. I'll throw grass clippings and leaves in as well depending on the season. If it rains, I just add straw. I've never had an issue with mold or anything like that. About once a month I go out and turn it to supplement what the chickens are doing to it. As it breaks down I add it to my compost pile. Usually by that time I'm ready to clean out what is in the coop again. It's basically a big cycle.

We did ours with about 5 inches of sand. So far the girls LOVE digging in the sand to dust bath and soak up the sun while keeping their bellies cool! We previously tried pine chips and corn cob bedding. It got soggy and stinky pretty quick. So far I'm liking the sand. Keeps the smell down and the ladies basically do all the dirty work for us by turning the sand and ultimately burying the poop to break down naturally

We did ours with about 5 inches of sand. So far the girls LOVE digging in the sand to dust bath and soak up the sun while keeping their bellies cool! We previously tried pine chips and corn cob bedding. It got soggy and stinky pretty quick. So far I'm liking the sand. Keeps the smell down and the ladies basically do all the dirty work for us by turning the sand and ultimately burying the poop to break down naturally

Welcome to BYC! @Weaselwoman .
I'm curious about situations where sand works well.
Is the sand in the run or coop...if in run, is run covered?
How long have you had chickens on sand?

Most importantly.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-4-14_7-7-18.png

I'm not familiar with all the dealing of DL. We live in the forest in Oregon and get a ton of rain. To me that seems like the makings of some brutal wet soggy litter. I'm a complete newbie and thought you need to try to keep the run dry as not to harbor disease.
I live in South Clackamas County. I agree with you about the rain!

Welcome to BYC! @Weaselwoman .
I'm curious about situations where sand works well.
Is the sand in the run or coop...if in run, is run covered?
How long have you had chickens on sand?

Most importantly.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1737752
Hi, we are in western Pennsylvania. The coop we keep pine shavings in. The run is sand and it is covered. We have only had chickens for about 6 month and the sand is working out great. I rake up all solids once a week and sift the chunks of various poo and leftover snacks out with a litter box scoop. The poo does dry very quickly on the sand and cleaning is very easy. Since the girls can't free range where I live we give them fresh grass clippings to make them happy and I definitely like the sand more than I did on dirt with pine chips or corn cob bedding. Those seemed to hold moisture and smell terrible after only a few days
And raking up the mess wasn't easy and I couldn't clean up all the little bits of poop and old food as well as I can on sand.

Back
Top Bottom