Ground Hog's Day Hatch

Oh, and Dingo, thanx- roads were not bad at all. But the traffic in New York City was horrendous. We sat for an hour before the George Washington Bridge - I was sure we'd run out of gas waiting for the cars to start moving again. How is it that you can not travel to the Northeast without going THROUGH the city of New York? I really need to get myself a good old fashioned paper map, and ditch the GPS.

NYC is always bad, glad the roads were good though. I was tempted to try going for some turkey eggs but I didn't have enough time.
hmm.png
Oh well.

I've been to upstate NY but never to the Big Apple. Perhaps someday. DW and I are contemplating a trip to Israel in June. Should we do it?

Oh, and Dingo, thanx- roads were not bad at all. But the traffic in New York City was horrendous. We sat for an hour before the George Washington Bridge - I was sure we'd run out of gas waiting for the cars to start moving again. How is it that you can not travel to the Northeast without going THROUGH the city of New York? I really need to get myself a good old fashioned paper map, and ditch the GPS.

GPS lies! Dad helped out a guy who's GPS was going to send him on a 8 1/2 hour trek to a place that was actually 4 hours away. :th
He was just off the right highway but the stoopid GPS was going to send him back the the city on a different road, only to turn around and get back on the highway he was 5 min from. :rolleyes: Dad told him the directions are 5 min east on this road till you hit the highway, turn right and keep going till you get there. No idea why it was so hard for the GPS to get it right. :confused:

Oh, and your son is right, you got to fill that 'bator up. ;)

I've been to upstate NY but never to the Big Apple. Perhaps someday. DW and I are contemplating a trip to Israel in June. Should we do it?
Mahonri, Flying in and using taxi, buses or (trains,oopps, NYC, not Chicago), subway to get around is soooooooo much better than driving...so, yes, stop there on your way over to Israel.........I was in New York as a kid and my hubby went three years ago with his son, everyone needs to see it at least once. My uncle, a farmer from Nebraska, got a shirt there that had a cow on it with a voice bubble that said, "Okay, I've seen New York City! Can I go home now?!" It was perfect for him!!!

Quote:
Quote:
What we have found with our Garmin is that once it "sets it mind" to something, it will try to reroute you to the way it wants you to go. I don't turn mine on until I'm on the main road I want to go on, otherwise it may have it's "own idea" of which way to take me. If you turn it on, and then go off on your own, it will constantly try to get you back to the place where "you made the mistake". I read the paper map, get the general idea and set the Garmin when I get closer.
I should add the the Garmin was a gift from one of our boys and while it's great for some things, a good atlas is still would it's weight in gold to me!!!

Last edited:
Well, the bator continues to hold steady at 99.7 degrees with 34% humidity.

Can't wait to candle on Saturday/Sunday.

tomorrow will be 6 days since I put my duck & guinea fowl eggs in. I'm not hopeful but I still can't wait to candle either!!!!

My air temp fluctuates a bit before the light comes back on but when I used my test wriggler (sandwich bags of water!) It held constant at 99.5* for 2 days......

I put my eggs in yesterday about noon... two days late, and my hatches are always a day or two late butwhat can I say? It's dead winter and my house hs no heater. 'Course my eggs are gonna drop a few degs. Lowest it'll get tho is 97* coz I suuuuper insulated it! Bwahahaha!

I finally found out how to post pictures! I love the new byc!

Good luck mahonri, I hope you get that rooster you wanted x2!

I think it's always good to have a back up rooster. Last year I was absolutely PARANOID about just buying one barred rock rooster. I just got 1, but luckily he lived. Coz I swore on my life that if he died, I would buy 5 more.

Is a showgirl really a turkenXsilkie? Or is it an actual breed of silkie?

Oh, dos anyone know how to keep a temperature stable btween 98 and 100 degrees in a HM incubator? Mine's a plywood one with styrafoam insulation...

Oh, dos anyone know how to keep a temperature stable btween 98 and 100 degrees in a HM incubator? Mine's a plywood one with styrafoam insulation...

Do you have an electronic thermostat?

Does the temp change frequently in the room where your bator is located?

Mahonri: I've not been to Isreal, but 2 separate friends have gone in the last year or so, loved it, and came back with interesting stories and amazing pictures. Go for it.

Kellyn: I'm lovin the Bwahahaha laugh! Sorry I don't have any temperature advice for you, this is only my second hatch. :/

Rarebreed: I did resist the urge to fill the bator to capacity, and I must admit that it was most likely due to the lack of eggs rather than a sudden burst of self control.

So what we set last night:

12 Blue Orpingtons
10 EE's. (some true Auracanas, an olive egger & I forget what else)
2 white leghorn mutts. And....
6 Bantam Cochin Mille Fleur? - these were a last minute gift to my son from a very kind BYCer, I did not know what they were and had to google them when we got back from the show. And now, I'm still not entirely sure what they are.

Back
Top Bottom