Ground Hog's Day Hatch

Yes! 26 out of 30 sounds good, but I am not going jump up and down yet. I attribute this number to the eggs not the design of my home made incubator.

First the eggs were aquired within 1 mile of my home, and placed in the incubator after a 24 hour waiting period. So from chicken to incubator was only 1 day and one set of hands. As for the incubator I have already identified some issues that we have to be corrected before the next run.

Also as I stated before, this flock of RIRs, is one of the best looking flocks as a group that I have ever seen. Full feathered, active, energetic, about 35 hens in number, served by 2 magnificent roosters. Now the owner of those birds, he'll never win an award in animal husbandry, but those chickens were thriving with his minimal care. It was almost comical, no shoes, no teeth, definite odor of a long forgotten herb.

I was lucky, not only did I score 30 hatching eggs at $2 a dozen, but he gave me a tel # of some one who had bought some chicks from him last October. They had bought 4 wanted hens but got 2 roosters. Because of the area they lived in keeping the boys was not an option. So I managed to buy 2 roosters of that bloodline for a song. I picked up Barrack and Obama for $25 total.

So I am keeping my fingers toes and eyes crossed for good luck.

I was worried about my avatar hen's mondo eggs being double yolkers.

Well, she gave me two more mondo eggs this week and I had them for breakfast today. They are single yolk, just huge. Yay!

Crisis 2 averted?

I wonder if, when they emerge, the godzilla babies will fit inside the incubator. Probably eat the little polish babies for lunch.

The marans eggs I got from Boston Bryce were huge. They are also the largest chicks from my NYD hatch brood.... and the roos are GIANTS. Almost twice the size of my Icelandic babies now.

Barrack and Obama... That's funny.

I believe that same farmer, or maybe his brother lives right down the way from me, could we be neighbors? I'm not sure if he owns a razor or shampoo for that matter, but some gorgeous looking birds running around. I got some EE's and Silkie eggs $2 a dozen for the NYD hatch from him. 8 hatched from the 12, so I was pleased.

Update: Set 12 White Orpington eggs on 1-11-12. Candled eggs this morning before sunrise (1-19-12) and have 100% fertility, no quitters, no blood rings, just be-boppin little embryos!! Looking quite good. I also added 13 Murraduna EO's and 2 LF Partridge Wyandottes on 1-17-12. If these all develop and hatch, I will have all the breeds I can handle for now. Lovin the new incubator and hatcher set up! I am still looking for a couple exhibition roosters to complete my flock. If anyone has a line on either, I need a Barred Rock and a White Leghorn. If not, fair season is just round the corner and I'll find them then. And I'm pretty sure my DH loves me tons to let me turn our bedroom into this....

I either have too dim of a light or too dark shells. My hatch will be a total surprise. Especially if I even get a hatch this time. LOL

Ah, nice incubators! Cost ya a arm or leg but it's probably worth it~ but I must ask.. what's the difference between the two? Does one incubate and onehatch, or do they both incubate and hatch? Jus asking...

I didn't fry my eeeeegs! So happy! And from the five or six I could slip out to candle, they look mighty fine!

I wish someone around me had nice pure breed heritage chickens... everyone's birds orignated from mine or the hatchery mine came from!

Is it even possible to hatch a double-yolker?

As soon as I urn 18, I'm gonna do an egg swap! I should have much better birds by then, and have learned much more as well!

Or perhapse one of my parens could do that for me...? Should I PM an administrator about that?

Ah, maybe I shoulda read the rules more thuroughly...

Ah, nice incubators! Cost ya a arm or leg but it's probably worth it~ but I must ask.. what's the difference between the two? Does one incubate and onehatch, or do they both incubate and hatch? Jus asking...
I didn't fry my eeeeegs! So happy! And from the five or six I could slip out to candle, they look mighty fine!
I wish someone around me had nice pure breed heritage chickens... everyone's birds orignated from mine or the hatchery mine came from!
Is it even possible to hatch a double-yolker?
As soon as I urn 18, I'm gonna do an egg swap! I should have much better birds by then, and have learned much more as well!
Or perhapse one of my parens could do that for me...? Should I PM an administrator about that?
Ah, maybe I shoulda read the rules more thuroughly...

What breeds are you looking for?

I... reeeeally want a standard feather legged rooster... well, preferably, I would loooove to get some eggs from someone and hatch some chicks. Right now, I'm so desperate I don't care if they all turn out to be males and are mixed with funky colors~. I just want a fuzzy footed rooosteeer!

And some non-leghorn or bantam variety white, plymouth, or buff chicks. I have my old lady buffy, whose almost six. She's all I ever had~ I originally had her and her sister, but she died in summer of 2007.

I'd like to give silkies another try as well... bc everyone on here just about loves theirs to death and say they're the perfectest of mothers.

I apologize for the randomness... but breeds i'd love are and feather legged breeds that aren't bantam or brahma; light coloured heavies, and a couple of silkies.

I've set 31 eggs for the GHD hatch. And hopefully i'll have about 45 It's a fertility test and I also need to raise a few younger roosters. I love my boys to eath ad they hve a forever home til they die, but after a certain ammount of time they aren't fit to breed large numbers of hens anymore.

Wellz, if you or anyone else has any of tose breeds or close to em and are willing to sel me or trade som hathing eggs... thanks!

I just gotta beat the MANY glitches out of my incubators... thanks! =D

Back
Top Bottom