Ground Hog's Day Hatch

Looks like I'm down one more OEGB, the one that cracked appears to have died.
hmm.png

Okay, looks like the remote digital thermometer went bad.

Medical thermometer reading was 100.8*

Candling still showed movement in eggs. Some eggs I can't see much of anything, mostly just a dark mass.

Time to sort out brooders!

I'd used a 68 quart bin several times in winter--but when I tried a summer hatch I realized it was too small for the chicks to get relief from the heat if they want it. I found the brooder thread and looked at a bunch of pictures. Then I walked around my attic, cellar, yard etc and got some ideas.

Idea one: a small book case laid on its back, covered w/wire shelving. Lots of width and depth but not so much height. Adjustable shelves could be used to segregate chicks. I'd have to keep this in cellar.

Idea two: A 33 gallon plastic bin. I think this might be big enough to have both a warm and cool area. I'd like to make a screened hole in the side that faces out--for air circulation. I could keep this upstairs.

I love the ideas of a chick roost! (so cute) and a box of sand/grit to scratch in.

I'm still eyeballing my old koi pond for when they are bigger but not big enough to be outside. Drag it into the garage... But what to cover it with? It is an odd shape, and the top would need to be sturdy--cat/skunk proof. Perhaps lots of long pieces of wire shelving.

My coturnix quail eggs I put in on the 14th are due in about 5 days... I think, give or take a day~ surprised thyre even ding aything... they were at least a couple weeks old wh
en I put em in!

I candled again because I wanted to know if the air sacs were goofed up by rough handling on those SFHs. Yes, they are wiggly. Learning lots.

Of the eggs with development, there were 2 which didn't seem to be moving. So, perhaps I'm down to 9: The 3 polish, the 2 LH mutts, 1 SFH, 3 amer mutts.

c'est la vie, i guess

kellyn - If I even get one egg to hatch I'll be super happy! Now I'm wondering whether I should have been misting & cooling the eggs (like some suggest). I feel like a mum now I know there is babies moving inside the egg! & thanks for the tip on cracking guinea fowl eggs...

kefiren - Pity about your SFH's & the rest that don't seem to be developing. I have a few eggs that seemed to develop but quit along the way too. Nice suggestions for brooder boxes though! I'll have to make one up and an old cupboard turned on it's side may be a great idea! (have an old kids bedroom cupboard in the shed that is falling apart!)

Now I have a question re: brooders... I have a big 1000w lamp with a metal shroud around it that I picked up at a garage sale.... I was hoping it would be suitable for a brooder! (I think it is for growing plants?)

Is this something that I could use? With or without the metal shroud?

Sorry I havent posted! I was crieing because my incubator ran out of water and it was bone dry in there!
th.gif
hit.gif
I guess there are dead arnt they... I candled and i saw a big ol' black globe and veins running into it and on my leghorns wich are due around Valentine's day hav a little ? in them! What does the globe mean?
Don't be sad. Every egg is a gamble and a potential 'gift'. Veining is fantastic! Don't worry about lack of water, plenty of people don't add any water at all until day 18 'Lockdown'. You should be fine. :D

Back
Top Bottom