Ground Hog's Day Hatch

How exciting Mahonri! Let's hope that egg with Fred's baby it in hatches soon!

I wish I'd set chicken eggs now
tongue.png
Seeing all of you so excited with your hatch makes me wish mine would just hurry up! And the more excited I get for you guys... the more nervous I am about my hatch. I really only think that 2 of my eggs have any chance! Eik!

Looking forward to some more pictures of all the happy chicks!

Mahroni, I believe this is your dream coming true.
Still one chick out. 5 pips. Original pip hasn't moved much. Humidity at 70%. Wonder why one was so early? I'm getting really sleepy... I don't think I can stay up and stare at the bator tonight. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!!

I have a chick! I have a chick!

I went out to listen to the broodies (hoping for peeps) and I hear screaming baby chick! Wondering what on earth is wrong I look around trying to see where it's coming from and on the floor is an egg with a wing sticking out of it! :eek: Snatched it up and the poor wee thing is bloody from pecking, raced it inside to check it over and get it in the 'bator and I peeled off some shell so I could see it's little beak. Gave it some time to warm up and it was screaming again so I went to see if it needed help, poor wee things head feathers were glued to it's thigh. Unstuck it with a cotton bud and it popped out onto my hand! :D it's fluffing up now and it's wing doesn't seem too bad, I'm sure glad I checked the girls when I did!

We have a pip! I was just starting to get worried.....seeing everyones hatching/pipping notices even though I figured they would start hatching this evening (Wednesday evening that is....it is 1:45 am right now....lol). Staring at still eggs. Then I got up to take another look and here it is. This is the egg I saw wobbling after we placed them in lockdown.

Ok.....I'm still nervous they won't hatch!

WOW you guys are so ahead of me. Then again mine really aren't due till the 3rd. My hatch for the 29th didn't happen until yesterday and only 2 out of 24. Most of them though I didn't hink were going to do anything since 9 out of 23 eggs were smashed by the PO. But I have a FBCM in the brooder and what looks like a wheaten hiding behind a carton still drying out. That one I helped almost completely out. It had a tiny pip if you could all it that and when I finally went in and checked it, it was shrink wrapped. Sure hope this next hatch is better.

Got up because I 'had a feeling' something was wrong.

First little chick out had gotten it self caught in one of the carton shells and couldn't move and it's neck was stuck in a weird position. This is the WMR chick.

Two more had popped out, both from eggs from my coop.

The one that looked more fluffed #2 is from my coop. Chick came out of an Olive egg and it's 3/4 SWA..1/4 WMarans.
#3 came out of an FBCM egg under the SWA roo. It's bluish and has cute little muffs. If it's female it'll lay olive colored.

So I took all three of them out to the Laree brooder. (I KNOW, I OPENED the BATOR, shame on me, but it was the only hope for the first little chick) Gave each a drink and got the Ecoglow fired up and the heat lamp going. Thermometer in the corner says it's up to 80 but it's more toasty in there than that, especially where I put the chicks under the Ecoglow.

All I can do for Chick #1 now is pray it will get itself straightened out... wish I would have gotten up sooner because before it was real lively and doing cheer leading all over the bator.

I upped the humidity in the bator to 74% (from 68%)... PRAYING that will compensate for opening the bator.

The original first pip is still just slightly larger. If it hasn't hatched by Noon, I'll be pulling it out to help it a bit. 2 other pips still there. No other new pips.
sad.png

... and I only got a couple of hours of sleep...

Back
Top Bottom