Ground Hog's Day Hatch

According to tracking, the groundhog is 2 towns away with my "electric hen".

I've got 8 chicks now, one polish pip and 2 swedish flower hen eggs waiting. If and when the polish hatches they are all coming out and I'll let the swedish flower hens set a bit longer just for good measure.

I went to bed last night and had trouble sleeping (again). Woke before dawn and made myself lie in bed an hour. Finally gave up and went downstairs to look in the bator. IT WAS ONLY 4 AM.

Here is a quote from Groundhog day, which I'm sure is a quote of some famous poet, anyways:

" Winter, slumbering in the open air, wears on its smiling face a dream... of spring."

At least he can sleep.

Well, when I set my eggs I didn't even look at the calender close enough to realize it would be GH day when they hatched. I now have 4 hatched out and another pipping as I write this....I am so happily addicted! This is my first time using my Genesis I bought myself for x-mas and I could not be happier with this incubator. I only set 10 Lav. Orp. eggs and they were shipped so my hatch rate is almost 50 percent.....not bad. Still waiting patiently or not so patiently for more pips. I hope everyone has a great day with very good hatches
jumpy.gif

OMG Who knew I set my eggs to hatch on ground hogs day?!!!!! I got home to 1 chick last night and 2 hatched during the night chirping so loud they woke me up at 3:30am!!! Then another one hatched this morning!!! and 2 more have pipped!! How am I going to make it through the work day???!!! HOW????

This is my first hatch and I can't believe how cool it is!!!! Yeah CHICKENS !!!!

I have an OE out and no other pips. Less to hatch this time. Only got 2 Marans to hatch the last hatch. I sure hope I get a few of those to hatch this time around.

O.M.G!!! I fiiiinally got a pip! My solid white-shelled coturnix quail egg pipped! And it was a day late, like I said. My miscalculations.... so my chickens hould hatch Monday or tuesday~

I have my HM styrafoam cooler-bator up and running, I have 9 or 10 coturnix quail eggs in it with a mug of hot water for humidity~ so does it still count as a staggered hatch even though I moved my eggs when they started to hatch? It's day 19 for them... lol, and here I thought I wouldn't get any babes on GHD!

And I hope y'all with chicks plan on posting LOTS of cute PICTURES of them biddies! Because I have no clue what SFH's, Lav. Orphs, Icelandics or any of those exclusive BYC breeds look like. And google doesn't telll which pics r which. Lolz, this forum any my pip made my day... bc it has sucked so far...

Last edited:
Wow, Kathy, just WOW!!!!

When will you be hatching those Barred Rocks?! Easter time?

OFF to work!

I will start hatching them when the hens decide to give me eggs! They are slackers right now!
I am still hatching, but so far I have 67 hatched. I moved some into another brooder, of course. I will take them all outside to the Nella brooders in the storage garage tomorrow.

Well- I have 1 chick from the 9 eggs that made it to lockdown so far. Had a little difficulty with the humidity the first couple days- couldn't get it to raise past 50 even with the bottom flooded. Threw in some wet towels and bam- up to 75%. Grrrr- wish I would of realized this sooner. I put them in there when I helped the little Delaware chick yesterday afternoon. It zipped by 10:30 am and then stayed that way stuck until about 3 when I couldn't sit and watch anymore and broke the cardinal rule and opened the bator. The membrane was stuck to the baby like glue. Used warm water and Q-tips and loosened things up. Broke away a fair bit of the shell and put it back in the bator (see picture below). It then pushed around a while and finally popped out. BUT- there was a little bit of yolk sac attached. Wrapped it with the bit of sack in a warm moist paper towel and back in the bator. Thought it would be dead for sure.....BUT- it lived!!! So- now a lonely little chick in the brooder and watching the others hoping they are not shrink wrapped and dead. Got the humidity staying up.....the temp was lower then the 1st 18 days. Partly because they were out of the turner box and down lower on the floor I think. Put them in a carton while I was getting the baby out and upped the heat a bit- now sitting around 100-101. I did candle one- the air sac was still intact, veins looked good......thought I saw or maybe imagined faint movement. Fingers crossed. My little chickie needs a friend!

Back
Top Bottom